Solution Engineer - Enterprise, FSI
Sydney, AustraliaJob ID R1902258 Date posted Feb. 22, 2019
VMware is one of the largest software companies in the world with over $10B in annual revenue and in excess of $3B in profit each year. You may be surprised to learn that:
- We are the number 1 Hyperconverged storage provide
- We are the third largest contributor to cloud native opensource projects (Kubernetes) with 2 of the three founders of Kubernetes working for VMware.
- Number one vendor in private and public cloud management
- One of the largest End User Compute platforms in the world
- Three of the top 10 blockchain resources in the world work for us.
And by the way nearly 90% of the worlds Virtual Machines run on VMware technologies.
In short, over 50% of our revenue comes from non=vSphere capabilities with more to come.
We are a company that not only believes in but lives our core values and demonstrate them every day:
Execution – We execute with dedication and focus on all of our tasks, both internal and external facing for the good of the organisation as a whole.
Passion – Everything we do we do with passion. We believe in what we are doing and the impact we can have on our customers and the world. Technology as a force for good.
Integrity – Without integrity we have nothing. Long term partnerships of employees, customers, partners and anyone else is built on trust and integrity. Short term gains are never an excuse for not having integrity.
Customers – Our customers are why we exist. Placing the needs of our customers at the centre of our thoughts and driving without compromise for the best outcomes for our customer are the centre piece of how we engage within VMware.
Community – We all live outside of where we work and in communities that are vast a different. We at VMware believe that we should do everything we can to support these communities to be a better place for all.
The success of these values and the dedicated team of people that have been drawn to this organisation have been able been able to produce amazing result both across the world and within ANZ. Locally we have achieved double digit growth for the last three years, exceed target for 7 out of the last 8 quarters and have engaged in truly transformational engagements across some of Australia’s most recognised brands.
Due to this incredible success and growth we have the need to add more people to our fantastic team and are looking for people who share our values and can bring their unique experiences to our diverse and inclusive culture.
What is a solution engineer? In short it is the person who has the responsibility of working with our customers, to understand their individual transformational journeys and then to build out innovative and differencing solutions that will help these organisations drive these outcomes. In order to achieve this result you will have the support of a plethora of specialists engineers, business unit resources, marketing and many others.
What does the job actually do? In simple terms the role of a core solution engineer is to understand the capabilities that VMware have, understand the needs of our customers and the facilitate a meeting of the two. You will work in partnership with a Sales Executive who will handle the commercial and legal stuff, whilst you focus on becoming a trusted advisor with our key customers to earn their trust and deliver amazing results.
What skills do I need to be successful? You will need to have a broad section of skills and abilities, but namely:
- The ability to work with a customer to uncover their core business drivers and determine how technology and digital transformation can meet these requirements (Solution Design)
- The ability to coordinate various specialist resources to ensure that the Solution Design is fit for purpose and meets all of the technology needs of the business.
- The ability to think out side the box or even ignore the box altogether, to come up with innovate solutions and outcomes.
- You will need to be comfortable in speaking with all levels of an organisation, from the CEO down to the engineers on the ground.
- You will also need to be comfortable in a group environment, including being on stage! Part of the role is to evangelise our platforms and the success that customers have had.
To be REALLY successful what other skills would I have? In addition to the above there would be some skills and abilities that would really help you be successful. These are:
- A good knowledge, and firsthand experience, of the software development lifecycle. Particularly a modern SDLC which includes Agile methodologies, CI/CD and dev ops.
- A good knowledge of how IT Infrastructure and platforms operate and how they support business outcomes. Trust me they do!
- A firsthand experience in leading or helping to lead a digital transformation engagement
What experience do I need? The honest answer is we don’t know. As a diverse and inclusive employer we are looking for the right people who live our values, who have the skills and abilities that we need and have a desire to bring these to help achieve fantastic customer outcomes. This could mean you have many years of experience in IT vendors. It could mean you have a consultancy back ground. It could mean you have spent your whole career working for corporate IT functions and looking to come to the “dark side”. If you think you think you are the person we are looking for, then apply and we can see where the journey takes us.