Senior Software Engineer (Pivotal Labs)
Sydney, AustraliaJob ID 1482878 Date posted Dec. 24, 2018
Senior Software Engineer - Pivotal Labs, Sydney Australia
The Sydney tech industry is seeing a new-found revival and is on the cusp of an entrepreneurial revolution fuelled by its first generation of startup heroes, such as Atlassian and Canva. Bigger players such as the Commonwealth Bank are opening innovation labs to collaborate with partners and startups in order to build communities.
Pivotal is located in the heart of the Sydney CBD (Wynyard station is our nearest), close to the beautiful Darling Harbour, with the iconic Harbour Bridge and Opera House as its backdrop. This is an ideal location for inspiring the next generation of software companies.
Pivotal Labs is Pivotal's consulting team, and a recognized leader in modern software development practices. We work with many of the world’s most influential companies, helping them not only build great software, but fundamentally create a culture of innovation. We also developed Pivotal Tracker, the project management and collaboration tool used by thousands of agile teams worldwide. Our approach is constantly evolving, and is informed by over 30 years of experience and continuous improvement, and blends agile/XP, lean startup and user-centered design.
About Us: Video
Pivotal Software, Inc. combines platform, tools, and methodology to help the world’s largest companies transform the way they build software and run their most strategic applications. Our technology is used by half of the Fortune 500 companies and developers to give software development and IT operations a strategic advantage. Founded in 2013, Pivotal unleashes software-developer productivity and creates an environment for innovation to scale, while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
- Work on small, focused projects, primarily in our office as part of a balanced team of engineers, product managers, designers and business people as part of a blended team of Pivotal and client staff.
- Help customers solve their problems with software, across a vast spectrum of complexity, language and framework types.
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, and other members of your team to design the best and simplest solution possible, and work together to overcome any challenges along the way.
- Take a consultative approach to defining and evolving the architecture of the systems with our clients’ developers, architects, and product managers.
- Are interested in pair programming you'll spend a lot of your time pairing with other Pivots and our customers’ staff.
- Enjoy full stack development. On any given day, you’ll tackle a user story, working full stack from UI to backend to DB. You’ll often push code up through the CI/CD pipeline and take your work to production.
- Work on both new, greenfield applications, and rewriting or modernizing existing business-critical systems.
- Coach and mentor customer developers, architects, product managers and operations people as we use agile/XP and techniques like TDD and CI/CD
- Constantly seek to improve on the code, and the development process of the team. We’re pragmatic, not dogmatic, and we value taking a holistic approach.
- Continuously learn and be at the leading edge of Pivotal and industry trends
- Be capable of rolling up your sleeves and putting your hands on the keyboard as readily as you can jump to the whiteboard to diagram a solution.
Agile concepts are at the core of our process. We have a whole host of Pivotal Practices around Test Driven Development, pair programming, team retrospectives, technical retrospectives and continuous integration. We are excited to teach these to you and innovate with you on their implementation.
We stick to a strict 7.5 hour a day schedule, and we firmly believe in work-life balance. Although on-call rotations are occasionally part of some teams, incidents are exceedingly rare.
You'll rarely be alone when developing; from pairing all day to 1 on 1 time with your manager, there is always a Pivot there to lend a helping hand. Mentorship from senior engineering leadership is built right into our process - you’ll always be empowered.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Software Development experience in a variety of programming languages
- Experience and/or interest in Test Driven Development (TDD) and agile methodologies
- BA/BS in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Preferred experience working directly with clients, leading projects, and mentoring engineers
- Strong communication skills and interest in a pair-programming environment
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems
- Experience deploying to cloud environments a plus
- Solution Architects that code are also encouraged to apply.
Desired skills and Experience:
- Australian Citizenship is highly preferred to be able to secure security clearance, although it is not essential
And finally…… The perks of being a Pivot!!!
- Pivotal offers a very competitive compensation package (Base Salary + Superannuation + Stock)
- State of the art offices in the heart of the Sydney CBD.
- Hot breakfast buffet prepared by our lovely Chef - Yes every morning!!
- Sustainable pace of work, have fun while working, read a book on the rooftop, play a game of ping pong, or chat with co-workers at the snack bar.
- Free drinks (Coffee, Juice, soft drinks and other beverages) and a large variety of snacks
- We have regular “Happy Hours” after a hard day of paired programming to be able to relax with the team
- We run the Lean Startup Meet-up in house - great for professional networking!
- Fantastic team environment work alongside really bright and like minded individuals.
- Benefits package (Medical Health Insurance, and other insured benefits)
- Paid Parental Leave and paternity leave to support our families.
- Global Fitness Reimbursement program - We love our staff members to be at their best
- Professional development allowance
- Access to our unique Headspace guided meditation.
So, do you want to Join the Pivotal family? All interested candidates please apply now!
To our recruitment friends: we are in no need of assistance for now, thank you.