Open Source Program Manager
Sofia, BulgariaJob ID R1911886 Date posted Sep. 11, 2019
What You will Do:
You will be our Technical program manager, working directly with the OSS Tools Program Manager and the engineering team to enhance and maintain the tools, documentation and processes that automate the Open Source and Security programs at VMware. You’ll work with our Engineering, Legal, Security, and Marketing, to implement software and process for the Open Source Program Office (OSPO) that drive development and product releases across the company.
You will automate and document processes that ensure we inbound and outbound open source software that grows healthy communities, unblocks engineers, aligns with our business goals, protects our intellectual property, and manages our compliance. You will guide our engineering teams on OSS compliance "best practices" in delivering their products to the marketplace. Additionally, you'll provide day-to-day coordination on projects and tasks to drive process and communication improvements across multiple teams and functions
Who You Are:
- Ability to be self-driven, take advantage of Open Source, Standards and Community, and a fast and consistent learner are valued attributes for this position. Prior contributions to Open Source Software communities and/or GitHub projects are a plus.
- You are pragmatic, iterative, and customer-driven. You focus on where you can add the most value and automate and delegate the rest. You’re organized, self-starting, and resourceful.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You are organized, self-starting, and resourceful.
- You know when to ask for help
- You are comfortable collaborating across time zones and cultures
- You truly enjoy problem solving, automating processes, and improving the customer experience
- You get (or at least done your homework) why open source exists, why it works, and thought about the challenges it poses to organizations
- You understand the differences between some of the common open source licenses
- Preferred experience in two of the following: Java/Python/GO programming languages (link to GitHub if possible)
- Experience with development tools such as source code revision control, continuous integration, ticket &t racking (Jira)
- Experience working with containers (Docker)
- Preferred experience participating to an Open Source project or using Open Source in multiple programming projects
- Web development and previous work experience a plus
- Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme, company sponsored mobile phone plan and additional long term incentives
- Individual career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, teams of world-wide IT professionals
- Healthy work environment - company sponsored medical program, food and beverage program, sport activities, open communication
- Work-life balance – 25 days paid vacation, team buildings and celebrations
As part of the VMware global standards for integrity you will be required to go through a pre-employment screening process before you join.
All job applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.