Software Principal Engineer (Unix, File Systems, Isilon)
Seattle, WashingtonJob ID R47187 Date posted Jun. 16, 2018
Software Principal Engineer
Location: Seattle, WA
Product Team: Isilon, OneFS
Software Principal Engineer needed to work on the cutting edge clustered file system technology in Isilon. Work with a great team of file system specialists and develop the next generation of high performance and highly reliable NAS scale out products.
- Responsible for working in the storage space for designing and implementing changes to Isilon’s clustered file system services, to support existing and new customer use cases.
- Responsible for defining, architecting, implementing, and supporting large and complex modules in the core of the File System
- Responsible for delivering Design and Functional specifications.
- Participate in all phases of the development cycle.
- Analyze and improve system performance.
- Provide accurate and detailed schedule estimates for development efforts.
- Interface with other functional areas such as Support, QA, and Product Management.
- Interact with customers to help understand requirements as well as troubleshoot and solve complex problems.
- Develop and review unit test procedures and work closely with QA to develop system integration test plans.
- Require strong skills in system programming, memory management, multi-core, distributed programming, synchronization, data structures and algorithms. A background in designing scalable, high performance products and knowledge of file systems and storage is a big plus
- Join us if you are ready to learn, innovate and grow your career with us.
Required & Desired Skills:
- Experience in Linux/FreeBSD/Unix systems programming in C.
- Understanding of kernel internals, designing, implementing and debugging at Kernel level
- Experience in File System internals, Data Structures and Algorithms.
- Techniques to scale algorithms without loss of performance, a plus.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, self-directed environment.
- Smart, willing to learn quickly and move the project forward.
Education and Experience: Typically requires 4+ years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree or 2+ years with a Master’s degree or equivalent experience.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.