Senior Software Engineer
Seattle, WashingtonJob ID R25100 Date posted Mar. 14, 2019
Senior Software Engineer - Unstructured Data Storage
DELL EMC Isilon is the leader in scale-out storage systems. Our clustered storage and data management solutions drive unique business and economic value for customers by maximizing the performance of their mission-critical applications, workflows, and processes. Isilon enables enterprises and research organizations worldwide to manage massive and rapidly growing amounts of file-based data in a highly-scalable, easy-to-manage, and cost-effective way. We’re in the business of transforming the way data is stored. At the forefront of the big data movement, our highly parallelized, distributed architecture has completely redefined the storage model
What is Protocols Engineering?
Our teams build the network interfaces our customers use to reach their data. We are delivering future capabilities for new workloads such as Hadoop as well as scaling existing NAS workloads to massive levels and with non-disruptive operations to keep businesses running 24x7x365. Our identity management technologies ensure that we can work in almost any environment and provide our customers with seamless integration to both directory services and storage protocols.
How do we do our work?
We create a pipeline of work based on input from our customers, internal engineering needs, our product managers, and our strategic bets. Our organization is “multi-threaded” in how we manage our engineering capacity and the throughput at which we deliver. We aim to run a
lean organization to build the right things the right way at the right time.
What technologies do we use and build?
We strive to use the best tool for the job at hand. We build our core infrastructure and network code in a combination of C and C++ with control functions leveraging the flexibility and rapid development provided by Python. We use git as our source control system and leverage GitHub Enterprise based workflows for building and testing our code in a continuous integration model. Creating internal clusters for testing and development is smooth and easy using our automated builds and virtual deployments.
- Design and build solutions to complex technical problems on Isilon OneFS that deal with high scale, concurrency, and performance to enhance our customer’s ability to access and manage multiple petabytes of Hadoop data.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills across one or more teams to create a detailed design, and provide a high-quality implementation.
- Contribute to the culture of quality throughout our broader engineering organization.
- Share experiences and skills to aid team members in enhancing their professional skills and career.
- Possess an aptitude exploring new technologies and understanding how to apply them to new product releases and in customer facing support scenarios.
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field, and 4+ years industry experience with network or storage protocols, UNIX/Linux systems software development, or related field.
- Development of system software written in C or C++. Additional experience with Python is preferred.
- Knowledge of object oriented design patterns.
- An understanding of the UNIX operating environment such as system configuration, memory management, system calls, multiplexed I/O, and concurrency models.
- Knowledge of distributed software systems
- Experience in one or more unit test frameworks.
- Experience with network file systems or object protocols such as SMB, NFS, or S3 interfaces in shippable software/services.
- Knowledge of authentication, identity management and authorization concepts
- Knowledge of directory service protocols such as LDAP or NIS, and authentication protocols such as GSS-API, NTLMSSP, or Kerberos.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages.