Senior Developer Advocate / Evangelist
Seattle, WashingtonJob ID R040377 Date posted Oct. 28, 2019
Senior Developer Advocate / Open Source Evangelist
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and the technology we provide transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We recognize that over 100,000 employees across six continents have different interests and aspirations. We inspire, challenge and respect each and every employee, every day. We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
We are currently searching for a Senior Developer Advocate/Evangelist for our Pravega community. Pravega is storage for streams: it exposes stream as a storage abstraction and a slick API to manipulate streams. Pravega streams are unbounded and elastic while guaranteeing strong consistency. We are interested in growing a community around the project (http://pravega.io). Being open source is core to our strategy. Open collaboration and the innovation that follows from it is a pillar upon which we build our product, and having a growing, healthy, diverse, and thriving community is core to that strategy. A Developers advocate (community manager) is, consequently, a key individual responsible for promoting the project in various ways, with the mission of building and maintaining a healthy community. The specific responsibilities of a community manager in this project are:
- To develop the Dell Technologies and Pravega brands with open-source communities.
- To work with subject matter experts across business, legal, and engineering to define the lifecycle of the project in the open-source project.
- To speak in public events about the project, such as meetups and developer conferences.
- To organize events, such as meetups.
- To interact online with the members of the community, encouraging external participation.
- To encourage engineering teams internally to participate and advocate for more open-source projects.
- To produce content to post online to promote the project (e.g., blog posts and short technical videos).
The ideal skillset for this position is the following:
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Proven record of open-source participation
- Ability to persuade and influence others to join the community
- Creative and passionate about open-source
- Capable of developing code
- Knowledgeable of open-source data analytics technologies
- Ability to code in Java.
- Experience evangelizing a product or service
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science. Graduate degree is a plus.
- 5+ years working with open-source projects either as a Developer, Community Manager, Evangelist or Developers Advocate.
- Knowledge of messaging systems such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, and ActiveMQ, and open APIs and standards such as JMS and AMQP is desirable.
- Knowledge of data analytics technologies such as Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Flink, Apache Storm, and Kafka Streams.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages.