Firmware Principal Engineer - Santa Clara, CA
Santa Clara, CaliforniaJob ID R053129 Date posted Jan. 15, 2020
Firmware Principal Engineer
Santa Clara, CA
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a Firmware Principal Engineer on our PSE team in Santa Clara.
State-of-the-art products demand state-of-the-art firmware, and that’s the role of our Firmware Engineering team. We lead and deliver the analysis, design, programming, debugging, troubleshooting or modification of software for firmware applications. Our team oversees programming activities involving analog and digital hardware as well as software operating systems. We also influence product development at all stages. In short, we use the latest technology to modify existing solutions, in addition to developing innovative new software and firmware solutions.
- Design, Implement, Debug, Test, and Optimize firmware and software for enterprise SSD products.
- Debug failures to root cause and create bug fixes.
- Support Customer qualification and adoption.
- Create required tools, scripts, and processes for development and test as required.
- Team player able to collaboratively identify key problems and problem solve issues affecting their areas of ownership as well as the larger program.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
- 7+ years of experience in firmware development and/or firmware test roles.
- Hands-on experience with embedded firmware development of storage systems including code development, functional and regression testing, architecture definition, and use of industry standard tools and flows.
- Independent, experienced self starter able to proactively identify and navigate through development issues and tool gaps.
- Hands on experience with JTAG debuggers.
- Experience with source control (svn, git, perforce, etc.).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in a firmware development and/or test role for at least one project from product definition to production.
- Multi-core processor experience
- Diagnostic firmware development experience
- Scripts experience (Perl, Python, bash, etc.)
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.