Backplane Firmware Principal Engineer
Round Rock, TexasJob ID R045787 Date posted Nov. 15, 2019
Backplane Firmware Principal Engineer
Round Rock, TX
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a FW Principal Engineer on our Server Storage Engineering Backplane FW team in Round Rock, TX.
- This position is for a Server Storage firmware development engineer; for server backplanes, within the DellEMC Server and Infrastructure Systems development group. The Server Storage Engineering Team is closely tied to most of the development organizations, including the platform, operating system, systems management, mechanical/thermal and HDD/SSD drive teams.
- The position provides the opportunity for contributing to and setting the technical and design direction for a storage subsystem, and responsibility for its implementation into the larger server and HCI/SDS product lines. This includes possible feature definition, firmware development, development process execution and improvement, integration testing, fault isolation and resolution, manufacturing release, and resolution of design issues found in the field.
- The ideal candidate should have design and development experience with storage solutions in the following implementation domains: SAS expander, direct attach and PCIe backplane topologies, driver-based RAID, embedded, PCI adapter, or external storage controllers.
- The Server Storage engineer is responsible for providing technical contribution to specifications; the development of storage solutions; and for debug of interactions taking place between HDD/SSDs to expander firmware/PCIe switches/passive SEP to the RAID firmware and up to the OS code stacks.
- Duties possible include all activities necessary to take a design from concept to production including, architecture definition, schematics, FW development, debug, test, issue resolution and factory ramp support.
- Design and code development experience with various server storage backplane topologies (SAS expander, direct attach and PCIe based), implementation knowledge of Storage/HBA/RAID solutions in multiple implementations: firmware/driver based, embedded, PCI adapter & external controller.
- Solid working knowledge of embedded programming skills such as SDK, code review practices, code security principals and embedded debug.
- Ability to: identify potential product weakness; provide design guidance/recommendations for improvements to subsequent redesigns; work in cross-functional development efforts; code in a collaborative environment.
- Solution level understanding of firmware; device drivers; server and storage management strategies; and application in an enterprise environment with ability to drive technical issues to root cause.
- Candidate must have working knowledge of PCI, SATA and SAS protocols.
- Demonstrated ability to work under and deliver to date-driven schedules; write and analyze requirements, functional specifications, design specifications, test plans, and documentation. Candidate should have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Target is a BS EE/CE/CS with 6+ years’ experience or MS EE/CE/CS with 4+ years’ experience
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re ready to develop cutting-edge software for a changing world, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.