Cloud Operations Engineer
Reston, VirginiaJob ID R1906421 Date posted May. 15, 2019
Ensure that VMware Cloud (VMC) on Amazon Web Services (AWS) operates with high reliability, availability and performance at scale for our customers.
The VMC on AWS GovCloud Operations team is looking for a senior Cloud Operations engineer with an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph to help maintain VMware’s exciting new Software Defined Data Center as a Service (SDDCaaS) fleet running on AWS infrastructure. As an SDDC Cloud Operations engineer you will provide service insight, response, and service management to maintain high service reliability and availability with low touch through extensible services and platforms, standardized processes, data insights, and product feedback.
- Maintain VMC on AWS customer SDDCs and VMware supporting infrastructure
- Work closely with software engineering teams to improve maintainability and reliability of services
- Handle seamless upgrades of infrastructure and services through automation
- Identify, gather, analyze and automate responses to key performance metrics, logs, and alerts
- Ensure compliance with appropriate security standards
- Conduct post-mortems to analyze failures and prevent recurrence
- Provide service support by participating in regular on-call shifts responding to service issues
- Willingness to travel to Palo Alto regularly
- Top Secret/SCI Clearance - ISA is viewed as a minimum requirement and VMware will sponsor the enhanced clearance
- Top Secret/SCI Clearance with FS Polygraph – ISSA strongly desired.
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent industry experience
- Demonstrated experience with VMware vSphere products: i.e. vCenter, ESX, vSAN and NSX in production environments
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Systematic problem-solving approach coupled with a strong sense of ownership and independence
- Experience administering Linux systems in a production environment
- Experience providing on-call support for high priority incidents
- Operational experience with networking and an understanding of networking principles
- Experience operating, troubleshooting, and scaling online services
- Experience reviewing security scans and remediating vulnerabilities
- Experience with modern container orchestration systems: e.g. Kubernetes, Mesos, DC/OS, Swarm
- Familiarity with security issues in the cloud such as intrusion, penetration, and vulnerability scanning
- Experience with monitoring solutions: e.g. ELK, Splunk, SUMO, Nagios, Prometheus
- Experience with Jira Service Desk and PagerDuty or similar tools
- Experience with Change Management processes and functions
- Experience with various data management technologies including relational and non-relational databases and message queues
This position is eligible for the JoinGovCloud referral campaign
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application. With 2018 revenues of $7.9 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, more than 75,000 partners, and 20,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Do you dare to do the stuff you've always dreamed about? Dare to explore at careers.vmware.com.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.