Technical Support Engineer 2
Research Triangle Park, North CarolinaJob ID R048145 Date posted Dec. 05, 2019
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. At our core is a commitment to diversity, sustainability and our communities. We offer unparalleled growth and development opportunities for our team members. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere, so they can transform the way they work and live.
Provide support to customer/users where the product is highly technical or sophisticated in nature. Represents the company to the customer ensuring the customer is satisfied. Responsible for providing telephone, email, chat and remote diagnostic technical support of servers, storage, switches, routers, blades and various software applications (Windows, VMWare, Exchange, Oracle, Netware, etc.). Answers questions about installation, operation, configuration, customization, performance and usage of assigned products. Verifies warranty entitlement and determines appropriate action. Applies diagnostic techniques to identify problems, investigate causes and recommend solutions to correct failures. Documents problems in the support solution database for diagnostics and solution implementation. Provides basic remote deployment, maintenance and consulting services.
Acts as central point of contact for product related issues and manages the customer relationship from a technical support perspective with minimal supervision
Participates in the creation and maintenance of knowledge database content
Understands the customer's technical environment through regular communication and business reviews; develops support plans that recognize the customer's priorities, challenges, initiatives and potential areas for improvement
In addition to their technical expertise, maintains direct linkage into other key internal organizations necessary for fast problem escalation and expedited resolution status
Research customer issues in a timely manner and follow up directly with customers on recommendations and action plans.
Escalate cases to other more senior Technical Support Engineers and/or Escalation Engineers when the problem is too complex or falls out of specific area of expertise.
Leverage internal technical expertise, including higher-level engineers, knowledge base, and other internal tools, to provide the most effective solutions to customer issues.
Create new knowledge base articles to share information for reuse throughout the Technical Support Center.
Gain knowledge and expertise through hand-on experience, self-study, and through a variety of learning environments.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills are needed in order to work successfully with customers in high stress and/or ambiguous situations.
Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and understanding how to utilize them in a customer-facing environment.
Creative approach to problem solving.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working directly with customers and can represent Dell EMC with the highest level of professionalism. Prior experience in technical support or similar customer facing roles is required, with the following technical skills and knowledge preferred:
Preferred Candidates will be experienced in some of the following categories:
- OS and System Administration experience:
- Windows client/server
- Hypervisors such as VMware
- networking and file serving protocol experience: TCP/IP, NFS, SMB, HTTP, FTP
- Enterprise level directory services:
- Interop identity management
- LDAP, NIS, Active Directory
- Experience with network packet capture and analysis is a plus
- Experienced within an enterprise storage environment, preferably NAS but also SAN
- 4+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Proven skill troubleshooting and Configuring Network Infrastructure, Server Hardware and Operating Systems, and/or NAS/SAN Solutions
- Competent Knowledge in one or more of the following technologies, Network Switching and/or Routing, Linux, Virtualization, Data Protection such as Avamar
- Analytical ability to gather and interpret data
- Fault Isolation and Troubleshooting Methodology
- Competent knowledge of current industry products and technologies
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, with a no-barriers attitude towards helping others
- Knowledge in any of the technologies, TCP/IP Networking, VMWare, Linux (Red Hat, Ubuntu, or CentOS), Microsoft Server OS, SAN/NAS Solutions, Modular Server Solutions
- Certifications, such as: Network+, CCENT, CCNA or higher, LPI-2 or RHCE, VCP–DCV, VCP-NV, or equivalent
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.