Technical Support Engineer
Research Triangle Park, North CarolinaJob ID R037119 Date posted Oct. 07, 2019
Technical Support Engineer
(Research Triangle Park, NC - USA)
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere, so they can transform the way they work and live. However we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 150,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a Technical Support Engineer on our Isilon Unstructured Data Storage team in Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Act as a remote customer advocate to champion specific customer needs for code currency, reporting and product knowledge in collaboration with field teams.
- Understands and leverages technical communication structure; may be asked to participate in virtual team training and product knowledge sharing meetings.
- Applies advanced technical expertise using standard operating and diagnostic procedures to resolve standard to complex level issues; identifies documents and escalates customer issues to senior resources.
- Recommends and utilizes standard internal and external diagnostic test equipment and product trace and logging procedures; provide documentation and direct feedback to Field Technical Specialists, Account Managers, Sales and other Dell Technology Technical Support co-workers as appropriate.
- As a 24x7x365 organization, shift work, inbound calls rotation; holidays and on-call responsibilities
- Typically requires 5+ years of related experience in a professional role with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3+ years with a Master’s degree; or a PhD without experience; or equivalent experience
- Proven skill troubleshooting and Configuring Network Infrastructure, Server Hardware and Operating Systems, and/or NAS/SAN Solutions
- Competent Knowledge in one or more of the following technologies, Network Switching and/or Routing, Linux, Virtualization, Data Protection such as Avamar
- Analytical ability to gather and interpret data
- Identifies and interprets interoperability and support matrixes; identifies reviews, creates and delivers timely and highly focused training programs and/or serviceability enhancements within the Field and Remote technical support departments.
- Effectively communicates procedural and technical issues to internal and external customers in a fast paced and customer critical environment through a variety of mediums.
- Monitors and tracks all service calls, provides call status updates at regular intervals and communicates status to customers using Call Tracking Databases.
- Maintains a closed-loop" communication style assuring all appropriate individuals are notified of ongoing issues and problem resolution status." Responsible for sharing all acquired knowledge concerning problem resolutions; leads efforts in facilitating problem re-creation and failure analysis systems level issues.
- Knowledge of Avamar or other Data Protection Suites, replication and or clients
- Knowledge in any of the technologies, TCP/IP Networking, VMWare, Linux (Red Hat, Ubuntu, or CentOS), Microsoft Server OS, SAN/NAS Solutions, Modular Server Solutions, Oracle
- Certifications, such as: Network+, CCENT, CCNA or higher, LPI-2 or RHCE, VCP–DCV, VCP-NV, or equivalent
- Contributes to centralized problem identification and resolution databases; may have senior level tasks like Engineering for assigned product and skills.
- Will participate in the creation and maintenance of eService applications such as: Knowledge-base content, Support Forums, etc.
- Regularly submits content to the knowledge database.
- Validates technical information and issues early warnings and disseminates information as needed.
- Dell Technology Proven Professional Certification desired. Scope may include multiple products and solution support
- Engages in Escalations/Data Unavailable/Data Loss level issues Assisting I6 engineers on complex cases and elevated engagements
- Ability to work in a team environment Ability to work independently Analytical ability Communication skills
- Detail oriented Knowledge of job associated programming languages
- Vendor management skills
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re ready to get to the heart of ground-breaking products and champion innovation as an expert, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.