Senior Technical Support Engineer
Research Triangle Park, North CarolinaJob ID R036797 Date posted Oct. 09, 2019
Senior Technical Support Engineer
(Research Triangle Park, NC - USA)
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere, so they can transform the way they work and live. However we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 150,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a Senior Technical Support Engineer on our Isilon Unstructured Data Storage team in Research Triangle Park, NC.
The Senior Technical Support Engineer provides support to customer/users where the product is highly technical or sophisticated in nature. Responds to situations where first-line product support has failed to isolate or fix problems for the customer. Represents the company to the customer ensuring the customer is satisfied. Responsible for providing telephone, email, chat and remote diagnostic technical support of servers, storage, switches, routers, blades and various software applications (Windows, VMWare, Exchange, Oracle, Netware, etc.). Answers questions about installation, operation, configuration, customization, performance and usage of assigned products. Verifies warranty entitlement and determines appropriate action. Applies diagnostic techniques to identify problems, investigate causes and recommend solutions to correct failures. Documents problems in the support solution database for diagnostics and solution implementation. Provides basic remote deployment, maintenance and consulting services.
- Consults and advises on more complex technical questions related to entire enterprise ecosystem
- Acts as central point of contact for product related issues and manages the customer relationship from a technical support perspective with minimal supervision
- Provides guidance, leadership, technical consultation and training to less experienced team members
- Participates in the creation and maintenance of knowledge database content
- Understands the customer's technical environment through regular communication and business reviews; develops support plans that recognize the customer's priorities, challenges, initiatives and potential areas for improvement
- Works closely with engineering, product management, and other key internal organizations to drive innovation and performance around product requirements, enhancements, process improvements and industry best practices
- In addition to their technical expertise, maintains direct linkage into other key internal organizations necessary for fast problem escalation and expedited resolution status
- Research customer issues in a timely manner and follow up directly with customers on recommendations and action plans.
- Escalate cases to other more senior Technical Support Engineers and/or Escalation Engineers when the problem is too complex or falls out of specific area of expertise.
- Leverage internal technical expertise, including higher-level engineers, knowledge base, and other internal tools, to provide the most effective solutions to customer issues.
- Create new knowledge base articles to share information for reuse throughout the Technical Support Center.
- Share best practices with Technical Support Center staff and learn about new technologies and complimentary storage applications.
- Gain knowledge and expertise through hand-on experience, self-study, and through a variety of learning environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills are needed in order to work successfully with customers in high stress and/or ambiguous situations.
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and understanding how to utilize them in a customer-facing environment.
- Ability to follow standard engineering principles and practices.
- Creative approach to problem solving.
- To be successful in this role, you must be a motivated self-starter and self-learner, possess strong customer service and technical problem solving skills; and be someone who embraces challenges.
- Candidate should be experienced in most of the following categories:
- OS and System Administration experience:
- Windows client/server
- Hypervisors such as VMware
- Strong networking and file serving protocol experience: TCP/IP, NFS, SMB, HTTP, FTP
- Enterprise level directory services:
- Interop identity management
- LDAP, NIS, Active Directory
- Experience with network packet capture and analysis
- Typically requires 8+ years of related experience in a professional role with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6+ years with a Master’s degree; or 3+ years with a PhD; or equivalent experience
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re ready to get to the heart of ground-breaking products and champion innovation as an expert, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.