Technical Support Engineer (Data)
Raleigh, North CarolinaJob ID 1491675 Date posted Jan. 07, 2019
Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
Pivotal Software, Inc. combines platform, tools, and methodology to help the world’s largest companies transform the way they build software and run their most strategic applications. Our technology is used by Global 2000 companies and developers to make software development and IT operations a strategic advantage. Founded in 2013, Pivotal unleashes software-developer productivity and creates an environment for innovation to scale, while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
You understand enterprise customer expectations of the technical support experience and judge your success by the success of your team and the happiness of your customers. Maybe you’re interested in working directly with enterprise clients to replicate, troubleshoot, and resolve their technical issues, or perhaps you enjoy working under pressure, helping people in high impact situations. Either way, you thoughtfully assist each customer by listening, connecting the dots, documenting the situation and solution, and escalating when appropriate.
You bring analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills and you are interested in continuously improving yourself, our support systems and products by taking training, reporting defects, and collaborating with engineering and operations to triage customer issues.
You are also a US citizen or you hold Permanent Residency.
In Pivotal Support, we are passionate about providing our software customers with the highest level of service. We work in small teams around the globe, supporting customers 24x7. We believe in doing the right thing and working at a sustainable pace; typically 8 hours each day with occasional weekend support rotations.
We are also passionate about our people, building on individual strengths, and encouraging continuous learning and certifications. And, when you’re off work, we want you to relax, recharge, and refocus.
To make sure your days are energized, Pivotal provides an open-plan office space, bringing together talented, like-minded support engineers who enjoy taking advantage of weekly Tech Talks, games, space to hang out, and enjoy a variety of snacks and beverages all day, every day (in Pivotal Corporate offices, a catered breakfast is served every weekday morning).
As a senior support engineer, you apply advanced and in-depth knowledge to analyze, diagnose, replicate, troubleshoot and resolve standard to highly complex technical customer reported issues around Pivotal's distributed databases.
You assist and mentor junior team members in resolving complex issues, contribute articles regularly to Pivotal’s internal and external knowledge base, and you collaborate with escalation engineering when issues require more in-depth knowledge.
Pivotal believes collaborative, open-plan office space brings together talented, like-minded support engineers who enjoy taking advantage of our weekly Tech Talks, playing games, and hanging out.
Required Skills / Experiences
Our team members are all familiar, skilled, and/or experienced in some of the following (we do not expect you to check everything on these lists)
- Advanced and in-depth knowledge and ability to analyze, diagnose, replicate, troubleshoot and resolve standard to highly complex technical customer reported issues around Pivotal's distributed databases
- Troubleshooting skills with databases (PostgreSQL/Hadoop/Teradata/Netezza/Redshift preferred)
- Fundamentals in OS
- Troubleshooting needs to be done on Database , OS and Network side so below skills are required :
- Strong RDBMS concepts.
- OS administration fundamentals - Need to have basic understanding on admin commands and system log references
- Network fundamentals
- This role will support US government clients that require US citizenship. Given this, US citizenship is required for you to apply.
Desired Skills / Experiences
- Ability to develop and enhance scripts to automate root cause analysis
- Knowledge of Python/C/C++/Java/Bash/Golang to be able to read and understand product source code.
- Programing experience in any language is a plus
- Experience with service ticket systems such as Zendesk, Jira, Desk.com, Salesforce Service Cloud, Freshdesk
- Production DBA experience including patching and upgrades