Customer Support Engineer - Gemfire
Raleigh,Job ID 1947479 Date posted Nov. 07, 2019
Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
Pivotal Software, Inc. combines platform, tools, and methodology to help the world’s largest companies transform the way they build software and run their most strategic applications. Our technology is used by Global 2000 companies and developers to make software development and IT operations a strategic advantage. Founded in 2013, Pivotal unleashes software-developer productivity and creates an environment for innovation to scale, while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
You understand enterprise customer expectations of the technical support experience and judge your success by the success of your team and the happiness of your customers. You’re interested in working directly with enterprise clients to replicate, troubleshoot, and resolve their technical issues and work well under pressure, helping people in urgent, high impact situations. You thoughtfully assist each customer by listening, connecting the dots, documenting the situation and solution, and escalating when appropriate. You understand the value of sharing knowledge and contribute regularly to the customer knowledge base and/or support community and engage more experienced team members and product engineering teams as needed.
You are interested in improving yourself, our support systems and products by continuously training, reporting defects, and collaborating effectively with a diverse and talented team of colleagues.
You are also a US citizen, allowing you to work with our US government customers.
In Pivotal Support, we are passionate about providing our software customers with the highest level of service. We foster a culture of innovation and adaptability, redefining customer support in new and exciting ways. We are not a typical technical support organization.
To support the many products and technologies that make up the Pivotal Cloud Foundry platform, we have built a diverse and inclusive team of exceptional engineers across the globe. Collectively, we are experienced software developers, DevOps engineers, network engineers, sys admins and architects, community organizers, quality assurance engineers, new grads and open source contributors who share a passion for helping others solve complex problems at scale.
We work together in small teams around the globe, supporting customers 24x7. We believe in doing the right thing and working at a sustainable pace; typically 8 hours each day with infrequent weekend support rotations.
We are passionate about our people, building on individual and team strengths, and encouraging continuous learning and certifications. And, when you’re off work, we want you to relax, recharge, and refocus.
Pivotal provides an open-plan office space, bringing together talented, like-minded support engineers who enjoy taking advantage of and delivering tech-talks, time for gaming, space to hang out and enjoy a variety of snacks and beverages available throughout your day. Catered breakfast is served daily to corporate offices.
A typical day may include the following
- 8:15 AM EST: Breakfast arrives at the office
- 9 - 9:10 AM EST: Daily team sync
- Following the team sync, your days are never the same. You will be tasked with unique and exciting problems on a regular basis, so your daily routine will be influenced by many factors. One day you may be pairing with product engineers in troubleshooting sessions and the next day you may be running point on your own short term initiative, collaborating with others to improve a process or specific outcome. It is often said “If you aren’t learning at least one new thing per day, you’re doing it wrong.”
- Lunch: Pivotal’s downtown Raleigh office is convenient to a number of great lunch spots and we have a full kitchen. Take time for yourself or join some teammates for lunch break. Pivotal caters lunch every Thursday.
- Training. We understand the need to duck out of the queue from time to time to improve on an existing skill or acquire a new one. We offer many platforms and training materials to suit the goals you set for yourself.
As a Customer Support engineer, your days are full of opportunities to be helpful, learn, and share knowledge as you address customer challenges, distill details of what you did to succeed, and share it with your colleagues and the Open Source community. Throughout the year you will have opportunities to attend as a guest or participate in Pivotal’s many events such as the SpringOne Tour, All Things Open, CF Summit, Cloud Foundry Meetups hosted by Pivotal - and many more!
Required Skills and Experience:
Our team members are all familiar, skilled, and/or experienced in some of the following (we do not expect you to check everything on these lists)
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent, with coursework or experience in distributed systems.
- Technical understanding of distributed in memory data management systems.
- Proficient in at least one object-oriented language (past programming experience). Java, C++, or C# strongly preferred.
- Understanding of JVM and GC tuning. Good to have performance tuning experience.
- Basic skills in analysis, design, implementation, and debugging of distributed, data intensive, and/or object-oriented applications.
- Should be proficient in the use of Windows/Unix/Linux systems and possess solid understanding of network configuration and troubleshooting.
- Excellent analysis, troubleshooting, and communications skills.
- Ability to master new technology and application domains (e.g. financial, scientific, and industrial).
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- Contribution to open source projects and engaging in developer communities - preferred but not must.
- Experience with GemFire, Hazelcast, Redis, Coherence or other object-oriented data management systems highly desirable.
- Experience with SQL desirable.
- Good to have Spring knowledge.
- Basic IaaS/PaaS cloud knowledge.
- Experience with IDEs for Java/C++/C#.
- Nice to have some knowledge on cloud cache and cloud foundry.
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.