VP Engineering, Blockchain
,Palo Alto,California,United States of America, VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.Job ID R1914492 Date posted Nov. 09, 2019
Blockchain is an emerging technology that promises to change the world we live in. With VMware’s vast experience in building highly trusted distributed systems and our background in doing advanced research in this space for several years, we are poised to change the industry’s definition of blockchain and what it can do. We are building out a team of highly skilled individuals to help us build this business and change the industry. This is a unique opportunity to join an early team that is building a business from an incubation project.
VMware’s blockchain platform is a multi-cloud, multi-blockchain hybrid SaaS solution. Our team works on cutting edge technology to deliver unique services for enterprise customers wanting to leverage this new technology but need the robustness and performance that they have grown accustomed to in the enterprise. In this role, you will work with a team of talented and focused leaders while leveraging VMware’s Research Group, the open source blockchain efforts, key partners, and the broader VMware community.
Our team values diversity, cooperation, and open thought while supporting VMware’s EPIC2 values.
VMware is seeking an experienced VP Engineering leader for our Blockchain-based product suite within a newly formed Blockchain Business Unit within the Office of the CTO. As a seasoned Engineering leader with a strong track record, you will bring a compelling, established record of success in high quality software organizations, ideally including both early stage and larger company experiences. Precise industry experience in the blockchain domain is desirable but not necessary, but a good understanding of highly scalable, cloud-ready software design with experience in IT infrastructure/application management is required. The successful candidate will have broad software development and managerial experience building high performance teams across multiple locations.
The VP Engineering will develop and implement a comprehensive development and delivery strategy for the Blockchain product group by establishing a culture of excellence in execution for the organization. He/she will champion the architectural definition of the services, define realistic targets and milestones for engineering execution, focus the engineering team on a CI/CD foundation, and own the customer delivery with success. This leader will also establish a high level of team participation and interaction, serve as an inspiring mentor and coach, ensure that quality is a high priority at every stage, and move products into production in the desired timeframes. Responsibilities include:
- Directly oversee the architectural definition and delivery of VMware’s first block-chain based services by meeting the use case requirements defined by the product management team;
- Build highly scalable processes built on a CI/CD model to deliver SaaS offerings and other new services from VMware;
- Meet the quality, availability and supportability requirements of the enterprise customers in strategic verticals such as financial services, technology, and healthcare;
- Develop, lead, and inspire the team. Be a magnet for software development talent and accelerate the hiring of strong architects and developers.
- Possess a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the complexities and needs of running a software development organization such as making technology and architectural trade-offs, competitive analysis, market gap analysis, life-cycle management, etc.
- Work closely and engage with VMware executives and direct reports to establish an environment that is motivating and entrepreneurial in nature. Work especially closely with Product Management to obtain prompt resolution to key business issues likely to impact product release schedules, product requirements, product quality, and business operations.
- 15+ years of progressively broadening enterprise systems software, SaaS, infrastructure software development leadership experience and with a strong track record of success in the architecture, development, and delivery of highly complex, enterprise class software.
- Inherent knowledge of development processes and best practices to manage multiple, software development projects consistently on time and on budget.
- Engineering leadership experience of a broad development portfolio of both established, mature products, as well as new and emerging products.
- Proven track record of success leading development teams in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment where management of complex product requirements is a critical driver of success.
- Specific experience organizing and/or reorganizing a product development function for growth into highly competitive new markets and product lines such as Cloud computing where taking advantage of strategic opportunities requires short product life cycles and flexible and adaptable product architectures.
- Demonstrated track record of delivering software both on premise and SaaS including the transformation of product development processes to shorten release cycles and continuously deliver release for Cloud consumption.
- Proven leadership experience setting the vision and building, leading, and motivating development teams. Trained in software development organization and leadership from a company well known and widely respected for world-class software development processes and practices.
- Strong working knowledge of enterprise blockchain and distributed ledger services;
- Demonstrates a “high organizational IQ”, successfully managing highly technical, geographically distributed teams;
- Hands on as needed with the ability to dive deep when needed;
- Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs.
- Fosters a customer-focused environment.
- Leads by example, creating a sense of energy, ownership, detail orientation, collaboration and personal commitment to the work.