Sr Manager R&D
Palo Alto, CaliforniaJob ID R1903275 Date posted Mar. 18, 2019
We’re looking for a Sr Software Manager to manage the overall development and delivery of VMware SDKs which include but are not limited to the VMware Cloud on AWS and vSphere’s Automation SDKs. You must be a person who is passionate about enabling and nurturing developer communities especially with a focus on developer outreach and engagement. You must be a hands-on manager and focused on making our developer community a success. You must be comfortable driving SDK development across multiple feature teams.
Your responsibilities include the management of existing SDKs and also manage many new SDKs based on RESTful design principles. Some of these include vSphere Management SDKs, vCLI, vSphere Perl SDKs and vSphere Automation SDKs written in languages such as Java, Python, Perl, Ruby, Typescript, and C#. You are responsible for our integrations with Configuration Management solutions such as Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef etc.
We’re a great group to join. You will work in a fast paced environment, work with some of the best engineers and be very focused on developer outreach. You should come with experience in building developer tools, web services and/or managing open source projects. You must have strong technical skills and work in an agile environment.
- Contribute to requirements gathering, architecture, design, and implementation of developer software to power vSphere based offerings. Includes defining the API model and working with the developer community making constructive suggestions for improvement
- Be a hands-on lead that enables developers to deliver on innovative software projects using proven development processes (Agile/SCRUM).
- Collaborate with stakeholders on requirements and respond with fast product delivery by taking smart risks as and when required
- Assist in recruiting great talent for the organization besides mentoring and coaching engineers and seek the opportunity to bring in continuous improvements to implement development and unit testing best practices.
- Have experience with wire protocols as well as distributed systems and experience building web services or developer tools
- Work closely with project team members (Architects, Product Management, Functional QA, System Test), and coordinate all aspects of the projects including core vSphere functionality and vSphere based solutions
- Proven ability to handle multiple, complex technical projects and have the flexibility to work in a very dynamic environment.
- Also, create and continuously measure KPI’s for SDKs
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science and/or related fields; and a minimum of 8+ year’s software development and 3+ years as a Development Manager experience is required preferably in a second line management capacity
- Proficiency in one or more of these languages (e.g. Java, Python, C#, C++, Typescript) is required
- Familiarity with the tools that popular in those developer communities.
- Strong technical credentials, with development expertise in OOP.
- Familiarity and development experience with Web services technologies is a strong plus (e.g. REST, XML, JSON, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to influence change and provoke new thinking at all levels of the organization
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, cross-organizational projects.
- Must have strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently and with teams. Be able to prioritize and handle multiple outstanding tasks
- Provide mentorship and lead strong development practices inside the team
- Excellent presentation, interaction and communication skills along with the ability to collaborate effectively across functional organizations.
- Experience with VMware and dependent product Suites, and web application technologies in a data center environment is a plus.