Senior Manager of Engineering
Palo Alto, CaliforniaJob ID R1812570 Date posted Dec. 06, 2018
VMware NSX is revolutionizing networking and security for next generation data centers. VMware is the pioneer of the Software Defined Data Center and is investing in the development of next generation security technologies that take advantage of the virtualization layer for improved security of both desktops and servers.
We are looking for a seasoned engineering leader for Infrastructure Software team. You will help create infrastructure that enables us to build scalable and robust network applications powering large private and public clouds.
- You will manage, mentor, build a team of high-performing engineers through end-to-end technical ownership of certain subsystems, feature sets, from design, development, to maintenance, and customer deployment support.
- You will build distributed, resilient, scalable and highly available infrastructure software.
- You will communicate status, risks to product completion dates, and offer mitigation strategies to ensure on-time delivery of all committed projects to a large number of multi-functional teams across the business unit and company.
- You will assign areas of ownership, ensure engineers have clear priorities and adequate resources.
- You will provide vision, leadership, career development and mentoring to team members.
- Recruit, inspire and develop engineers on the team
- A self-starter with the ability to work across all functions of the company.
- Real passion for quality, urgency and a dedicated commitment to succeed and win.
- Very well organized, attentive to design details and possessing a high level of integrity
- Work across boundaries; engage others, inspire individuals and teams to achieve company wide success.
- An undergraduate, master's degree and/or PhD
- 10+ years of experience building software solutions for distributed and scalable systems using Java, Python and/or C++
- 4+ years of experience in leading teams that were responsible for developing software for distributed and highly scalable systems.
- Experience in developing database and compute clustering technologies.
- Experience in developing high availability and fault tolerant networking infrastructure.
- Knowledge and experience of the Scrum process and agile development methodology.
- Experience in functional testing, benchmark testing, performance analysis and tuning with experience developing software benchmarks.
- Experience with open source messaging and database technologies like RabbitMQ, Kafka, MongoDB is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.