Senior Director, Business Development & Strategy
,Palo Alto,California,United States of America, VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.Job ID R1910865 Date posted Oct. 23, 2019
As a Senior Director of Business Development within the Cloud Platform Business Unit Strategy and Operations team, you will be a key member of a small, experienced team that oversees the strategic partnership and long-term growth of one of our most important partnerships. We are tasked with ensuring the company invests in the right go to market strategies aligned to the product roadmap and market opportunities. The role will have broad exposure to go to market strategy, product, partnerships and new business initiatives. Core responsibilities include developing the strategic business plans across the commercial and public sector businesses and driving execution of the plan with our partner. Negotiations and closing complex contracts are a big part of this role. You must have commercial acumen and deep knowledge of our economics and business drivers to structure deals that promote and expand VMware’s interests.
Given the small size of the team, we value organization, self-motivation, strong attention to detail and extensive negotiation and presentation experience. The position offers significant responsibility and broad exposure to many aspects of the business. You should have experience framing and analyzing complex problems, developing recommendations, partnering with business leaders to drive execution, facilitating governance and communication processes, and playing a key role in informing and influencing decision making.
- Lead the development and execution of the strategic plan and execution
- Operationalize the plan, driving it across the company and with our partner to achieve business targets
- Negotiate complex agreements across business areas
- Manage a small team of Directors and support personnel
- Maintain an external mindset, including staying on top of industry, competitive and macroeconomic trends, meeting with customers and partners
- Collaborate with senior leaders to identify, prioritize and operationalize key work areas, unblock obstacles
- Develop and maintain complex decision tress and have inputs into the financial model which support management decisions
Desired Experience & Qualifications
- 8-10 years’ experience in strategy, business development, operations
- Strategic mindset with an ability to think broadly, refine questions and develop analytical frameworks; outstanding quantitative, financial and analytical skills
- Ability to work both independently and partner with cross-functional teams
- Highly motivated, personable and capable of managing multiple tasks in a demanding and dynamic work environment
- Ability to accurately assess longer-term implications of changing business models with simultaneous focus on optimizing the short-term, understanding the growth drivers of the business and prioritizes initiatives that will accelerate growth
- Exceptional communication skills – both written and verbal – with comfort interfacing with senior business leaders
- Strong understanding of hybrid cloud market
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent. MBA preferred.