,Palo Alto,California,United States of America, VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.Job ID R1914661 Date posted Nov. 08, 2019
You will be a member of the Privacy Legal Team, who provides global privacy advice to the company in all aspects of the business. We strive for a deep understanding of company’s business objectives and products and services to be able provide practical, strategic assistance as the company navigates the evolving legal landscape.
Job Role and Responsibility
You are responsible for handling a wide range of privacy and product related matters, including following:
- Conduct data privacy risk assessments of products and service offerings and cultivate privacy by design and alignment with applicable legal requirements and corporate data protection policies and standards.
- Conduct risk assessments and provide data protection advice in relation to the use of third party data processors, including designing programs for development teams.
- Support the maintenance of a global corporate data privacy program and compliance standards working in close collaboration with the wider Data Privacy Office team.
- Advise on the requirements and restrictions for international transfer of personal data and its contracting parties in the context of European data processing and information transfers, including the use of mechanisms such as BCRs and Privacy Shield.
- Advise on appropriate data protection terms for vendors, supplier, customer and employee agreements, as well as RFP's, bids, and strategic business partnerships.
- Negotiate data protection and privacy terms in agreements with vendors and suppliers who provide services and technology to VMware’s R&D teams, including data protection agreements.
- Support commercial attorneys handling customer negotiations relating to privacy questions.
- Draft and update both internal and external privacy policies and notices.
- Advise on data subject access requests.
- Support critical incident management processes in addressing suspected or actual data privacy and security incidents.
- Develop training materials for legal staff, management and employees relating to data privacy, including key legal issues, laws and regulations, corporate policies and other relevant matters.
- Teach and mentor attorneys who are interested in developing privacy law skills.
- Some limited travel may be required as part of the role.
- Qualified to practice law in the United States
- A minimum of three to five years of legal experience as a privacy lawyer
- Legal experience with commercial and technology agreements
- Strong communication, negotiation and contract drafting skills
- Strong substantive knowledge of global privacy and data security laws, and global cybersecurity laws
- Consistent good judgment and ability to apply legal knowledge to help craft practical business solutions
- Ability to work well under pressure with diligence, organization and minimal supervision, and provide practical advice to clients.
- Ability to handle a diverse and complex workload while maintaining priorities and dedicatedly anticipating issues
- IAPP certification
- Experience working with software and SaaS providers
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.