Intern - IT Cloud Ops - Release Engineer
Palo Alto, CaliforniaJob ID R1908809 Date posted Sep. 16, 2019
98% of Fortune 500 Companies use VMware Technology!
The most advanced companies in the world turn to VMware to manage, grow and transform their business. When you work here, you’re connected to a global community of innovative, empowered employees working together to solve the most critical technology challenges.
We believe that creativity sparks innovation and inspires our employees to think differently and challenge the status quo. Whether it’s the kind of products we develop, our approach to sustainability, or how we give back to our communities, VMware finds unique ways to bring people together to fuel creative thinking. Want to know more, check out our website https://careers.vmware.com/
VMware IT provides technology services and support, enabling efficiency, simplicity and productivity for internal business partners and external customers. The organization provides two distinct, yet compatible functions. The IT team enables productivity and supports all employees; the organization additionally supports the company in its growth as the global leader in cloud infrastructure by developing and showcasing VMware products and technology. Working in tandem, these two functionalities reduce IT complexity and cost, both within VMware and for its customers.
Job Role & Responsibilities:
This position is for an intern who is looking for challenges and is constantly striving to improve the current Release process via automation. You will be working with other release engineers to develop stand-alone reports, dashboards, tools and plugins to existing platforms that automate the release process of IT applications to hybrid cloud environments worldwide. You will be actively participating in the application release process delivering value to the VMware business and its customers by:
- Developing automation scripts in python to track deployments.
- Developing dashboards in Python Django for artifacts deployed to Testing & Production environments.
- Developing plugins using J2EE to the current deployment automation tool
- Querying databases to fetch data to be massaged and displayed on dashboards
- Writing automation scripts on Linux OS platform
- You have previous experience with scripting languages such as Python, Bash and/or Shell on Linux.
- You have an understanding of SQL script creation and the configuring and tuning of JDBC connections.
- You are familiar with APIs and writing extension/plugin. This will be used on VMware products especially on vCenter Orchestrator and vRealize Code Stream.
- You possess enhanced analytical and interpersonal skills adequate to support VMware staff and with no issues while acting at as a contact point.
- You have the ability to give presentation to managers and Sr. managers on the automation work done.
- You are working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or equivalent field of study.
- You have previously worked with Java plugin deployment using J2EE or angular.js.
- You have familiarity with one or more version control system (Perforce, Git, SVN)
- You understand software development lifecycle.
Please note that whileanyonewith a legal right to work in the U.S. may apply for this role, VMware is not presently sponsoring work visas for the entry-level roles for which these Internships may prepare you.