Data Governance Analyst
Palo Alto, CaliforniaJob ID R1910392 Date posted Aug. 29, 2019
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 500,000 enterprise and mid-market customers to thrive in a Cloud Era. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
Our team of 20,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back.
Enterprise Data Management is the centralized data management team for VMware. Recently formed, this team will drive the establishment, deployment and adoption of data management capabilities across the company. The team is responsible for data governance, metadata, data quality, master data management and the implementation of data management capabilities in large projects.
This leader will support the design of the future of Data Governance for VMware, serve as a thought leader for data governance across the company, establish and provide oversight and transparency into the company’s data governance program, and partner with core data management and technology teams to implement the data governance strategy.
This role will require strong analytical, innovative, and creative problem-solving skills to ensure the data governance strategy enables the business strategy and objectives. To successfully achieve a culture of data governance, this leader must develop a comprehensive measurable strategy across all business units, business processes and applications.
- Establishing and maintaining defined data roles and responsibilities (e.g., stewardship framework)
- Establishing and managing the evaluation and refinement of data domains
- Establishing and leading Data Stewardship Committees and Working groups
- Supporting the Data Policy Oversight & Implementation Leader in driving awareness and adoption of Data related policies
- Supporting the Data Governance Sr. Manager in establishing and operating the company’s key data forums (data councils, working groups, etc.)
- Establishing and managing the ongoing maturity of the company’s Business Glossary, including driving consistent, comprehensive and aligned business definitions
- Leading the rationalization of existing Business Glossaries to a standard enterprise-wide glossary
- Driving adoption of the company’s Business Glossary enterprise-wide
- Designing supporting processes for data governance, such as issue resolution regarding business definitions, change management for the company’s business glossary, etc.
- This leader will be responsible for supporting the establishment of a formal data governance function, but also evolving and maturing this critical capability over time, alongside business need and within cross-functional projects/transformation initiatives. This role will report to the Sr. Manager – Data Governance.
- 5+ Years of progressive data management experience in data governance or similar roles (metadata, data quality, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to drive implementation of core data management capabilities across functions
- Ability to establish relationships across functions and drive to common goals
Our team looks for individuals who embody our values of humility, compassion, collaboration above isolationism, respectfulness, integrity, and good-natured fun.
Additionally, we would like:
- Experience managing an international team of FTE or Contract Resources
- Experience with data governance tools (Collibra, Ab Initio, etc.)
- Experience building reports for multiple levels of management
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.