Pre Sales Engineer Cloud / DevOps Remote
New York, New YorkJob ID R78638 Date posted Nov. 16, 2018
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and the technology we provide transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We recognize that over 100,000 employees across six continents have different interests and aspirations. We inspire, challenge and respect each and every one of them, every day. And we provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Solutions Principal role will work with cross functional teams comprised of services sales, sales support, delivery, and strategically aligned business partners to:
- Generate Customer demand by articulating Dell EMC’s unique perspective on Cloud Applications, Application Transformation, DevOps and Infrastructure as Code while credentialing our delivery capabilities using value-based success stories to meet past customer needs
- Gather, document, and understand Customer specific scope requirements and expectations for value-based outcomes using the DevOps principles of Culture, Automation, Lean, Metrics, Sharing
- Provide input and advise stakeholders during opportunity reviews for pursuit go/no-go decisions, as well as obtain Delivery Leadership approval for Delivery Subject Matter Expertise sales support to advance opportunities or scope solutions
- Collaborate and lead cross functional teams comprised of services sales, sales support, delivery, and strategically aligned business partners with the development and documentation of innovative Proposals with quantifiable value-based business outcomes
Great Proposals Include:
- Scope objectives we heard from the customer
- Major work streams, activities, deliverables, and timeline to achieve those outcomes
- Clearly defined roles and responsibilities between Dell EMC, Customer, and strategically aligned business partner roles
- Rough order magnitude or Practice Leadership approved service fees and terms for Dell EMC or strategically aligned business partner’s levels of effort and bottoms-up expense estimates
- Critical assumptions that need to be true to support the project timeline and proposed service fees
- Create Statements of Work consistent with the scope, work streams, activities, deliverables, assumptions, resource plan and level of effort, as well as terms and conditions approved during Solution and Deal Reviews
- Ensure compliance with Dell EMC pursuit management process and governance:
- Schedule Solution Reviews of Proposals and Statements of Work, invite key stakeholders, facilitate and drive final Delivery Leadership approvals
- Participate and provide input during Deal Reviews for pricing
- Facilitate “Early Demand” or “Start at Risk” requests, drive Delivery Leadership approvals; and ensure Resource Management understands project staffing needs
- Support Sales with Customer scope and legal negotiations of Statements of Work
- Participate with the transition and knowledge transfer of Customer awarded Statements of Work to Delivery Teams; participate in kickoff meetings (if needed) to ensure alignment of Customer, Dell EMC Delivery, and strategically aligned business partner’s expectation
To ensure accurate operations reporting when opportunities advance:
- Update Salesforce.com records with Dell EMC GTM conversations, service offer categories or Solution Principal assignments with contribution percent
- Update and publish Service Requests with opportunity risk assessment and resource plan / level of effort details Manage and proactively communicate status of pursuits, expectations on what is needed and when a quality work product can be delivered to the Customer
- Provide delivery oversight on a part-time basis to new or strategic engagements requiring strong domain expertise and knowledge
- Participate in primary and secondary Dell EMC Consulting Practice disciplines to share competitive market intelligence, as well as develop personal skills with priority GTM solutions comprised of Consulting service offers and Dell Technologies
The skill level, education, experience, and preferred / desired skills for this role include:
- BA or BS degree in Computer Science or related field job experience
- 10 years of Consulting sales, sales support, and/or delivery experience, plus significant SME-level depth in at least one of the following areas (ideally more than one, or will have strong understanding of others if not SME-level depth):
- Containers and Cloud Platforms / PaaS /Kubernetes
- Cloud Application Architectures and Patterns
- Application Re-platforming and Modernization Techniques (Gartner’s 6Rs)
- Enterprise DevOps CALMS Principles
- Infrastructure Automation and Infrastructure as Code
- Processing Re-Engineering and Value Stream Maps
- A high degree of learning agility; passionate about learning and mastering new concepts quickly and independently; great research skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and ability to tailor solutions to unique Customer requirements and desired business outcomes.
- Passionate about the craft of software engineering, with a strong background in software design patterns and Agile software development.
- Ability to articulate and debate software architectural decisions and the resulting tradeoffs across cost, performance, reliability, and other factors.
- Knowledge of setting up and maintaining build processes, deploying code bases to multiple environments and managing releases and configurations.
- Passion for automating infrastructure, software deployment, and configuration. Strong interest in Continuous Delivery and building fully automated deployment pipelines.
- Experience and passion for working in cloud APIs, i.e. AWS, Azure, vSphere/vCloud, OpenStack
- Strong technical aptitude and knowledge of:
- Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes and Terraform
- Jenkin/Hudson or other CI tools
- Scripting languages like Perl, Powershell, and Bash
- Version control/repos, i.e. Git, Subversion, Artifactory or Nexus
- Test driven development, testing tools and frameworks like JUnit
- Experience in and ability to lead Lean Coffee Workshops
- Demonstrated ability to manage a dynamic workload of competing priorities and deliverables while proactively communicating expectations on what is needed and when a quality work product can be delivered; proactively asks for help when needed to meet deadlines
- Capable and comfortable with frequent travel throughout the Americas Theater or internationally to support sales campaigns, transformation focused account workshops, executive briefings, and training.
- Persuasive sales-oriented personality that can partner with and influence internal / external stakeholders to grow our services business and Customer consumption of the Dell Technologies portfolio
- Possesses sales operations excellence skills:
- Capable of qualifying quickly that our capabilities can meet Customer needs
- Proven success at capturing and documenting Customer needs into compelling proposals and clear SOWs for Customers and sub-contracts with Partners
- Cross functional partnership with sales, sales support, delivery, and strategically aligned business partners
- Understand Master Service Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Subcontracts, and Teaming Agreements
Education/ Experience Required:
- 10+ years professional Industry experience with advanced Degree or professional equivalence
- Consulting delivery engagement experience with large, complex, fast moving projects.Strong team leadership and communication skills.Ability to provide management and oversight of key customer engagements when needed for new, innovative and strategic engagements.
- Capable of being a trusted advisor with executive presence
- Previous experience presenting and delivering transformation change solutions to C-level executives; ability to pivot out of silo specific dialogue
- Exceptional communication skills (i.e. interpersonal, written, verbal, active listening, effective questioning) that exhibit credibility and create confidence within internal and external stakeholders
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Apply now! Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.