Senior Software Engineer
Hopkinton, MassachusettsJob ID R90652 Date posted Feb. 08, 2019
Senior Software Engineer
Seattle, WA OR Hopkinton, MA
Dell EMC ECS is the industry-leading Object Storage , designed for both traditional and next-generation workloads with unmatched scalability, consistency guarantees, flexibility, and resiliency. Scale-out and geo-distributed, ECS object platform offers superior performance for apps that demand massive unstructured data storage capacity and global access, with the storage efficiency that only gets better when more sites are connected, and with all the enterprise-grade features that public cloud doesn’t provide.
The ECS team is looking for talented software developers with a passion for technology and innovative solutions to difficult engineering problems, who want to challenge and define the state-of-the-art in distributed systems. This position offers work in a dedicated team with a tremendous amount of ability to innovate, influence, and enable how engineering teams at ECS deliver the World’s best scale-out Object Storage system. You will build new and enhance existing capabilities of the platform’s core that features highly scalable transactional index, active-active geo access via global namespace with strong consistency, fault tolerance around the globe, best-in-class storage efficiency, and more.
We are a globally distributed team with representation in main development sites around the world, providing a fast-paced, diverse environment and great opportunities for world-class talent like you. We expect our engineers to be versatile, passionate, and committed to quality as we design, develop, build, test, and support ECS Object Storage.
Our Seattle office location is close to great food, amazing shops and Seattle’s football and baseball stadiums. We offer amazing perks at work including our own dedicated barista and special attention by the city’s best food trucks.
The ECS Operational Engineering team works hand-in-hand with strategic customers to ensure successful deployments of Dell EMC’s ECS object storage platform. Team members act as a focal point for coordinating strategic customer support from pre-sales activity through successful production roll-outs. This involves working with the customers’ developers and/or software vendors to integrate software with ECS, working with IT to design the infrastructure,
building essential open-source tools to ease customer adoption, and coordinating with various support groups to ensure any issues are handled quickly if they arise.
- Find creative solutions to a variety of challenging architecture/engineering problems.
- Interfaces directly with customers to coordinate project activities and support issues.
- Collaborates with engineering teams to troubleshoot problems and drive the resolution of issues.
- Provides training sessions to customers and partners to educate about ECS and cloud storage development topics.
- Develops in-house and open-source tools, SDKs, and 3rd party drivers/integrations to grow the ECS ecosystem.
- Coordinates with the Product Management team to provide feedback on customer requirements and input on new product features.
- Documents project requirements and communicates status reports to management.
- Periodic travel to customer sites required. Possible extended travel to manage critical customer situations.
- Creative/abstract thinking
- 5+ years of development experience
- 3+ years of extensive Java
- Understanding of cloud storage systems and protocols.
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot errors and recommend solutions.
- Project management skills.
- Time management skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Understanding of business environment
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re ready to develop cutting-edge software for a changing world, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.