Linux Systems Engineer
Hopkinton, MassachusettsJob ID R91910 Date posted Jun. 24, 2019
Linux Systems Engineer
Virtustream, a Dell Technologies business, is the enterprise-class cloud company that is trusted by organizations worldwide to migrate and run their mission-critical applications in the cloud. For enterprises, service providers and government agencies, Virtustream’s xStream® Management Platform and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) meets the security, compliance, performance, efficiency and consumption-based billing requirements of complex production applications in the cloud – whether private, public or hybrid.
We are seeking a System Engineer to support globally dispersed clients and maintaini a variety of systems for clients to use from around the world. Engineer will be responsible for maintaining the smooth operation of Linux VM’s and their associated storage, networks, and alerting systems. The position requires a breadth of skills including Red Hat Linux, SuSE Linux, and Microsoft Windows. Familiarity with Oracle, SAP HANA, MS Windows, MS SQL, IIS, SharePoint, and networking is a plus. You will coordinate work with numerous teams, leveraging sound technical knowledge with good communication skills to provide efficient resolution.
Requires US citizenship and ability to obtain Federal US Secret Clearance
- 5 + years’ experience managing systems and troubleshooting Unix & Linux Servers (RHEL 6.x & 7.x & SLES 11.x & 12.x)
- Knowledge of Virtualization (VMware, Hyper-v, KMC etc.)
- Experience managing Linux clustering preferably Veritas Cluster Server
- Experience managing and troubleshooting TCP/IP networks
- Eligible and have the ability to obtain Federal US Government Clearance and reside in the US
- RHCSA for Red Hat or SuSE equivalent
- ITIL Foundation certification or coursework
- Excellent customer service attitude and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Self-starter, works well with little oversight and prioritizes own work appropriately
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide on call support. Work hours will include nights and rotational weekend work
- Respond to customer requests for support
- Troubleshoot networking, deployment, and usability issues throughout the environment
- Update and maintain documentation and team knowledgebase
- Update and troubleshoot data collection and reporting systems
- Apply Operating System patches as needed
- Monitor alerting systems for system failures, and security updates, addressing issues as they arise
- Perform checklists to determine status of production facilities and troubleshoot any errors found
- Manage vendor relationships to effectively track service requests
- Escalate engineering issues as needed to team members or software vendors
- Coordination with Data Center staff for hands-on tasks
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you share our passion for data and you’re keen to play a key role in driving progress, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.