Hardware Systems Architect - Unstructured Storage
Hopkinton, MassachusettsJob ID R039647 Date posted Oct. 21, 2019
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and the technology we provide transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We recognize that over 100,000 employees across six continents have different interests and aspirations. We inspire, challenge and respect each and every one of them, every day. And we provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a Hardware Systems Engineer on our Unstructured Data Storage team delivering ECS and Isilon storage products in Hopkinton, MA.
The Unstructured Data Storage team designs, develops and delivers enterprise storage solutions in file and object to customers with exabyte scale needs. Our Systems Engineering team delivers next-generation hardware and software enhancements and new products for a changing and growing data landscape. Working at the cutting edge, we design develop and deliver software and hardware architectures for UDS’ Isilon and ECS storage portfolio — all with the most advanced technologies, tools, hardware and software engineering methodologies and the collaboration of internal and external partners.
- Understand the vast enterprise storage technology landscape, including current and emerging trends in enterprise HDD and SSDs
- Own and drive UDS’ technical flash technology roadmap, leveraging NAND, SCM, and future flash technologies.
- Leverage expertise to help drive UDS’ technology roadmap to ensure both ECS and Isilon are delivering cutting edge solutions for their customers.
- Work closely across many engineeng functions, including the core software, hardware and opertations groups, to design, develop and deliver.
- Spend plenty of lab time working directly with storage hardware in a hands on manner.
- Track and resolve technical issues and information requests
- Will be expected to independently lead one or multiple strategic initiatives for UDS
- Documentation of new architectures, SOWs, service procedures, etc.
- Mastery of key I/O protocols technologies, such as PCIe, SAS/SATA protocols, Ethernet (L2/L3)
- Experience working with and driving flash and SSD storage solutions.
- Experience working in Linux/Unix environments
- Comfortable doing general network configuration in a Linux/Unix environment
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Strong program management skills
- 8+ years experience in the storage field.
- Bachelors degree in an engineering field
- Experience with NVMe and NVMeoF storage devices/solutions
- Strong scripting capabilities (shell scripts a must; Python experience preferred)
- Bachelors degree in Electrical or Computer Science fields
- Willingness to travel to meet with Dell’s geographical distributed teams
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages.