Cloud Automation Senior Principal Engineer - IT (Prefer Round Rock TX or Hopkinton MA, may consider Remote from within the U.S.)
Hopkinton, MassachusettsJob ID R034562 Date posted Sep. 18, 2019
Cloud Automation Senior Principal Engineer - IT (Remote from within the U.S., prefer Round Rock TX or Hopkinton MA)
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. And more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees, and provide them with growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as part of our team.
Our Dell Digital & IT Infrastructure, Platform and Engineering global organization is seeking a Cloud Automation Senior Principal Engineer help us build a world class, private infrastructure cloud for IT. You will design, configure and support highly scalable business services deployed to the Dell Digital cloud; and work with the infrastructure team to support and improve our virtualized environment (both Linux and Windows servers, database and middleware services). Work across engineering teams, ensure our operations are scalable and continuous, and employ innovative methods for rapid provisioning and deployment of virtual environments ensuring reliable monitoring, management and reporting solutions; and enable reliable delivery to our customers and rapid development of new products. We are looking for innovative and driven engineers with a passion for technology and desire to transform infrastructure practice as we know it.
- Engineer and develop our IT private cloud infrastructure automation services, supporting modern application development standards enabling infrastructure as code
- Design and engineer infrastructure technologies in support of best practice, business continuity, performance/reliability, and security requirements
- Own and transition solutions from architecture through operations including implementation, testing, go live, operating procedures, monitoring and performance/capacity management
- Develop, maintain and support system standards through configuration management and automation scripting and tools
- Ensure implementation of appropriate system monitoring, alerting and reporting, to ensure maximum uptime, performance, capacity, and utilization
- Identify and lead new initiatives and provide guidance and support on advancing infrastructure technologies; and Mentor junior engineers
- Lead meetings and provide high-quality communication and documentation for project, tasks, incidents and outages
12 years of related experience in a professional role with a Bachelor’s degree, or Master’s plus 8 years, or equivalent experience, to include:
- Hands on experience developing in Cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP, VMware Cloud)
- Cloud configuration automation (AWS CFT, Azure ARM, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Terraform, Salt, Vagrant, etc.)
- Containers and serverless computing technology (Cloud Foundry, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS Lambda, etc.)
- Virtual networking (Vmware NSX, VPCs, etc.) and protocols (TCP/IP, IPv6, SSL/TLS, HTTP, DNS)
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills; Independent problem-solving skills taking tasks from concept to completion
- Ability to travel to meet project requirements (anticipated once per quarter, for a week or less)
- Highly preferred: VMware virtualization technology (vSphere, vRealize Suite, vCloud Director)
- Hands on experience in systems administration/engineering of virtualized infrastructure and/or cloud services
- Demonstrated expertise in deployment, tuning, capacity, and performance monitoring of infrastructure cloud platforms and services; private and hybrid including use of Integrated Containers, Docker and Cloud Foundry
- Build and CI/CD tools desired (Gitlab, Jenkins, Travis CI, etc.)
- Developing programmatic access to infrastructure and resources using API management tools (Apigee, Layer 7, etc.)
- Networking (multicast/IGMP, IP routing, firewalls, load-balancers, etc.)
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits and growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Dell is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages.