Principal Performance Engineer - Secureworks - Edinburgh, UK or UK Wide Remote
Edinburgh, United KingdomJob ID R78359 Date posted Nov. 30, 2018
Principal Performance Engineer
Edinburgh, UK or UK Wide Remote
Secureworks (SCWX-NASDAQ) is a global leader in intelligence-driven information security solutions. We help organizations confidently pursue business goals in a digitally-connected world.Consistently recognized by industry analysts and readers’ polls, we are one of the best in the world at understanding and anticipating threat behavior. We see 250 billion events every day across 4400 clients in more than 55 countries, and our solutions work across all the layers of a client’s security environment, including 330 different vendor technologies. Join a talented, dedicated, and diverse team of researchers, analysts, engineers, consultants and business professionals who are focused 100% on protecting our clients from cyber threats. We seek out the brightest minds and empower our teams with the tools and support they need to fight the bad guys and maintain our company’s leadership in the cyber security industry.
Uniquely positioned to adapt as the industry evolves, we are also proud to be part of the Dell Technologies family. We enjoy competitive compensation and benefits packages, and reward and recognize our employees for exceptional results. A constant focus on continued learning and growth keeps our team members engaged and excited about “what’s next.” We offer flexible work options when available, and emphasize the importance of work-life balance. We know that when our people are rewarded, recognized, and rejuvenated, we win as a team.
The performance engineering team focuses on proactive activities to characterise, instrument, predict, analyse and participate in avoiding potential future issues in systems used to deliver our security services. The team accomplishes this by base-lining current state, extrapolating growth, analysing ad-hoc influencers, creating test environments and applications to push the limits, instrumenting key portions of code for monitoring and working with engineering and operations to resolve gaps.
This is an exciting time at Secureworks. Security is a challenging and dynamic field. We process extremely high volumes of ever-increasing security event data and are experiencing rapid customer growth on a global scale. The successful candidate will be a member of a highly effective performance team and will have opportunities to have direct impact on our direction.
- Baseline applications and evaluate them for hotspots/bottlenecks
- Analyse growth patterns (events, customers, url hits, etc) for predictions on future potential issues
- Evaluate performance/scalability testing data to provide root cause analysis of issues, and work closely with development to confirm root cause and propose a fix, and to understand and validate fixes delivered by development.
- 2+ years focused on performance engineering.
- Programming background in Java or Python or C/C++, including the development of custom load simulators or other performance/scalability evaluation tools.
- Knowledgeable in JVM performance tuning.
- Knowledgeable in protocols/standards such as HTTPS, SSL, REST, SOAP.
- Knowledgeable in systems architecture such as Linux, VMware, SAN, load balancers, firewalls
- Experienced in the use of performance evaluation tools such as profilers, debuggers, etc in a performance lab environment.
- Experienced in performance evaluation of web-services, micro-services and/or jetty-based web applications.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual and problem-solving abilities
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Nice to Have's
- Experience working with map-reduce clusters, Kubernetes/Docker, Cassandra, Elastic Search applications a plus
- Proficient in SQL and interpreting execution plans
Why Join Secureworks?
Life at Secureworks means collaborating with dedicated professionals with a passion for technology. When we see something that could be improved, we get to work inventing the solution. Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships. We invest in our people and offer a series of programs that enables them to pursue a career that fulfils their potential. Our team members’ health and wellness is our priority as well as rewarding them for their hard work.
As a leading technology employer, we actively encourage further development for our employees. This is done through our range of internal training programmes, training affiliation with SANS GIAC, various vendors, encouragement for the team to go technology conferences or even our regular company hackathons.
Secureworks is part of the Dell Technologies family of brands. If you require any assistance in applying for an open position or have any specific requirements to attend an interview, please contact UK_Talent_Acquisition@Dell.com
We are a Disability Confident Committed Employer and aim to ensure our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible.
Secureworks, a Dell Technologies company, is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Secureworks are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Secureworks will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.