Senior IT Service Ops Engineer
Draper, UtahJob ID R78785 Date posted Nov. 21, 2018
Virtustream, a Dell Technologies business, is the enterprise-class cloud company that is trusted by organizations worldwide to migrate and run their mission-critical applications in the cloud. For enterprises, service providers and government agencies, Virtustream’s xStream® Management Platform and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) meets the security, compliance, performance, efficiency and consumption-based billing requirements of complex production applications in the cloud – whether private, public or hybrid.
Job Title: Senior IT Service Ops Engineer
Job Location: Draper, Utah
Provides expertise to ensure holistic support, proactive monitoring, and overall health of multiple Cloud and Infrastructure based Services including IT applications, tools, infrastructure (hardware, data, software), security, information access, system performance and data integrity. Utilizes appropriate IT tools to resolve issues with global, complex technical, business- and mission-critical environments. Is deemed a subject-matter expert in more than one technical disciplines. Recognizes recurring problems and proactively works cross-functionally and inter-departmentally throughout Virtustream to recommend solutions and process improvements. Works with other IT and Engineering groups, vendors, and business units to lead, monitor and resolve system outages.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Aggressive leveraging of monitoring systems and reporting services to proactively ensure system events and outages are accurately documented and that all major events and outages are properly escalated, communicated and resolved using ITIL best practices.
• Troubleshoots complex technical problems across multiple independent services to ensure optimal service levels and system availability. Utilizes tools to verify and validate that proper thresholds and infrastructure/application information are represented and set appropriately. Investigates major service interruptions and service interruption resolutions and may assist in ensuring future stability of infrastructure and data.
• Effective communication with cross-functional and inter-departmental teams, including executive and managerial audiences, to provide clear and consistent incident progress, and resolution updates. Responds to incidents utilizing a variety of communication vehicles including: email, bridge calls, conference calls, instant messaging, and one-on-one communications. Relied upon to direct technical resources as multiple resources come together to resolve issues. Involved in vendor escalations, through direct vendor contact or partnership with other EMC teams.
• Utilizes a variety of internal and external sources to investigate technology, build knowledge, and resolve incidents. Reviews documentation, diagrams, configurations, standard operating procedures, and tools and regularly contributes to internal knowledgebase and departmental documentation.
• Provides technical expertise in cross-functional and intra-departmental efforts. May be involved in prototype and quality assurance activities throughout IT and product management.
• Works on multiple incidents and/or projects simultaneously. Able to prioritize and delegate incidents based on the impact to total customer experience. Leads critical incident turnover with geographically dispersed teams.
• Leverages opinion, experience and technical knowledge across multiple Operating Systems, and technical disciplines to lead process and technical improvements to the IT environments and overall customer experience. Acts as a point of escalation in complex, critical instances and may delegate tasks to peers and others throughout Virtustream.
• Maintains professional demeanor under pressure possessing a can do attitude, to keep the resolution process moving in a positive direction
Bachelors (Technical) and/or equivalent work experience
**Must be a US born citizen as you will work on federal systems
4+ Years of Linux systems administration in a production environment
4+ years of hands-on VMware administration experience
4+ years of incident management resolution experience
• Strong technical aptitude.
• Able to adapt to change.
• Problem solving skills.
• Sense of urgency.
• Troubleshooting skills.
• Customer Service skill.
• Communication skills.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.