Principal Engineer, Technical Support
Draper, UtahJob ID R038568 Date posted Oct. 10, 2019
People make Dell – so wherever in the world they work, everyone is rewarded for their contribution. Ready to develop your career in a truly global company? Within the Technical Support Team at Dell, we are looking for a Principal Engineer to join our team in Draper or Remote.
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. At our core is a commitment to diversity, sustainability and our communities. We offer unparalleled growth and development opportunities for our team members. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere, so they can transform the way they work and live.
- Leads efforts in facilitating problem recreation and failure analysis of systems level issues.
- Recommends and utilizes a wide variety of test equipment, diagnostic tools and techniques used in problem resolution.
- May provide documentation and direct feedback to Field Technical Specialists, Account Managers, Sales and other Dell Technology Technical Support co-workers as appropriate.
- Applies advanced technical expertise using standard operating and diagnostic protocols to resolve standard to highly complex system level issues. Identifies, documents and escalates customer issues to senior resources.
- Effectively communicates procedural and technical issues to internal and external customers in a fast paced and customer critical environment through a variety of mediums. .
- Maintains a closed-loop" communication style assuring all appropriate individuals are notified of ongoing issues and problem resolution status
- Responsible for sharing all acquired knowledge concerning problem resolution.
- Contributes to centralized problem identification and resolution database may provide senior or expert level tasks similar to Engineering for assigned products or skills.
- Makes a recommendation to higher level technical support engineers or management for improving processes, standards and strategies.
- Regularly submits content to the knowledge database.
- Monitors and tracks all service calls, provides call status updates at regular intervals and communicates status to customers using Call Tracking Databases.
- Uses judgment, creativity and sound technical knowledge to obtain and recommend solutions.
- Identifies, documents and reports design, reliability and maintenance issues. Gains support and commitment from others and mobilizes people to take action. Understands and leverages Dell Technology''s technical communication structure. Sphere of influence extends well outside of the department.
- Validates technical information and issues early warnings and disseminates information as needed.
- As a 24X7X365 organization shift work, holidays and on-call responsibilities may be required. Dell Technology Proven Professional Certification desired.
- Scope may include entire Data Center ecosystem across multiple solutions Engages in Escalations/Data Unavailable/Data Loss level issues assisting I5-I7 engineers on complex cases and elevated engagements
- Work Recovery activity on customer systems Onsite diagnosis as needed
Ability to work in a team environment
Analytical ability Communication skills Customer Service skill
Detail oriented Interpersonal skills
Typically requires 8+ years of related experience in a professional role with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6+ years with a Master’s degree; or 3+ years with a PhD; or equivalent experience