Principal Engineer, Technical Support
Draper, UtahJob ID R038113 Date posted Oct. 03, 2019
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a Principal Engineer, Technical Support on the DellEMC Avamar Data Protection Suite support team.
Join Dell and you’ll work in a dynamic environment with other motivated, talented individuals who inspire greatness in their teammates. Our unique position as a technology leader ensures that you’ll always be challenged in your work and supported in reaching your most ambitious goals.
- Leads efforts in facilitating problem recreation and failure analysis of systems level issues.
- Recommends and utilizes a wide variety of test equipment, diagnostic tools and techniques used in problem resolution.
- May provide documentation and direct feedback to Field Technical Specialists, Account Managers, Sales and other Dell Technology Technical Support co-workers as appropriate.
- Applies advanced technical expertise using standard operating and diagnostic protocols to resolve standard to highly complex system level issues.
- Identifies, documents and escalates customer issues to senior resources.
- Effectively communicates procedural and technical issues to internal and external customers in a fast paced and customer critical environment through a variety of mediums.
- Maintains a closed-loop" communication style assuring all appropriate individuals are notified of ongoing issues and problem resolution status
- Typically requires 8+ years of related experience in a professional role with a bachelor’s degree; or 6+ years with a Master’s degree; or 3+ years with a PhD; or equivalent experience
- Validates technical information and issues early warnings and disseminates information as needed.
- As a 24X7X365 organization shift work, holidays and on-call responsibilities may be required.
- Dell Technology Proven Professional Certification desired.
- Scope may include entire Data Center ecosystem across multiple solutions Engages in Escalations/Data Unavailable/Data Loss level issues assisting I5-I7 engineers on complex cases and elevated engagements
- Work Recovery activity on customer systems
- Knowledge of Avamar or other Data Protection Suites, replication and/or client support
- Knowledge in any of the technologies, TCP/IP Networking, VMWare, Linux (Red Hat, Ubuntu, or CentOS), Microsoft Server OS, SAN/NAS Solutions, Modular Server Solutions, Oracle
- Certifications, such as: Network+, CCENT, CCNA or higher, LPI-2 or RHCE, VCP–DCV, VCP-NV, or equivalent
- Ability to work in a team environment Analytical ability Communication skills Customer Service skill Detail oriented Interpersonal skills Ability to work in a team environment Ability to work independently Analytical ability Communication skills
- Detail oriented Knowledge of job associated programming languages
- Vendor management skills
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.