Senior Staff Engineer - VMC
Dallas, TexasJob ID R180844-4 Date posted May. 03, 2019
VMware Cloud on AWS is an on-demand service that enables you to run applications across vSphere-based cloud environments with access to a broad range of AWS services. Powered by VMware Cloud Foundation, this service integrates vSphere, vSAN and NSX along with VMware vCenter management, and is optimized to run on dedicated, elastic, bare-metal AWS infrastructure. With this service, IT teams can manage their cloud-based resources with familiar VMware tools. The VMC Lifecycle organization provides the platforms for fleet management of datacenter components extending to configuration and drift detection. The team is designing the fundamental building blocks to merge many operational tools into a single operating experience.
Job Role and Responsibility
VMware’s Cloud Services R&D team is looking for creative engineers to help architect our cloud platform. Are you interested in solving complex technical challenges? Do you like working with modern technology? We are looking for a Senior Staff Engineer to drive the overall architecture of the VMC Lifecycle organization. As a successful Senior Staff Engineer you will be a creative and seasoned engineering leader with 10+ years architecting, implementing, and delivering complex technologies. You should have experience leading strategic architecture development and are able to make bold recommendations on key product innovations and investments in the context of a rapidly evolving technology sector. You will provide architectural guidance and roadmaps for the release coordination engine, configuration service, backup and restore service platforms, and the core infrastructure for a unified operating experience. You will work with the various talented development teams to architect efficient and highly reliable services that work for specific, targeted use case and for the more general use case. You will also work across the development teams and with the service architects to ensure the end-to-end lifecycle solution is complete.
- Routine involvement in high level architectural and design discussions providing authoritative technical mentorship for a highly reliably cloud platform.
- Demonstrated track record of successful customer and external engagement driving influence through deep technical product and industry knowledge.
- Seasoned working with fellow senior engineers, architects, product management, senior management, and other partners to define the technical roadmap for the product in response to requirements.
- Ability and willingness to become a hands-on engineer as necessary.
- Strong familiarity with data center technologies (storage, networking, and compute).
- Extensive software development experience in one or more of the following C, JAVA, C++, and Python. Experience doing so across Windows and Linux is a plus.
- Strong algorithmic and problem solving skills
- Distributed systems experience
- Ability to see and present "the big picture" and offer solutions to make it better.
- An extraordinarily intelligent, rigorous thinker who can operate successfully among very forward-thinking and trustworthy people.
- You are effective in working both independently and in a team setting
- Ability to uncover business challenges and develop custom solutions to pursue those challenges
- 15+ years of work experience in technology industry
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both written and oral are required
- An advanced degree would be highly desirable.
- Strong customer facing and relationship building skills
- Familiarity with software lifecycle development
- Technical undergraduate Computer Science and/or Electrical Engineering degree preferred
This position is eligible for the DiversifyCPBU referral campaign