Director of Software Engineering, Platform (Kubernetes) - Secureworks - Columbia, MD (Remote)
Columbia, MarylandJob ID R82955 Date posted Jan. 03, 2019
Secureworks (SCWX-NASDAQ) is a global leader in intelligence-driven information security solutions. We help organizations confidently pursue business goals in a digitally-connected world. Consistently recognized by industry analysts and readers’ polls, we are one of the best in the world at understanding and anticipating threat behavior. We see 250 billion events every day across 4400 clients in more than 55 countries, and our solutions work across all the layers of a client’s security environment, including 330 different vendor technologies. Join a talented, dedicated, and diverse team of researchers, analysts, engineers, consultants and business professionals who are focused 100% on protecting our clients from cyber threats. We seek out the brightest minds and empower our teams with the tools and support they need to fight the bad guys and maintain our company’s leadership in the cyber security industry.
Uniquely positioned to adapt as the industry evolves, we are also proud to be part of the Dell Technologies family. We enjoy competitive compensation and benefits packages, and reward and recognize our employees for exceptional results. A constant focus on continued learning and growth keeps our team members engaged and excited about “what’s next.” We offer flexible work options when available, and emphasize the importance of work-life balance. We know that when our people are rewarded, recognized, and rejuvenated, we win as a team.
We are looking for a software engineering leader with deep knowledge of containers, orchestration, and microservices and familiarity with distributed systems and computer security to provide powerful leadership and drive business forward on a cutting edge technology stack. You will lead our software engineering team developing multi-tenant platform services and products leveraging the latest cloud and big data technologies (e.g. AWS/GCP/Azure, Kubernetes, Docker, Kafka, Spark, Flink) to enable current and future security analytics to be quickly and easily added, enhanced and maintained. You will work in a fast-paced, startup-like environment with a cross-functional team of engineers, data scientists, and security experts leveraging large scale data science and machine learning. Join us to invent new ways of processing security data and help us to innovate faster than our adversaries.
The ideal candidate will have experience leading positive change, empowering people, cultivating product technology visions, and fostering effective engineering practices and culture. Creating a reliable, scalable, and secure multi-tenant distributed systems requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of computer science, and practical experience leveraging public cloud infrastructure, containers and orchestration solutions, and big data technologies. The ideal candidate has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services from scratch in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.
- Attract, excite, and retain a geographically distributed team of best-in-class software engineers. Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management and coaching.
- Provide technical leadership in the development and improvement of a secure, scalable, performant, and fault-tolerant software platform across a multi-cloud architecture.
- Play a critical role in the broad business planning, working closely with senior executives to develop business targets and resource requirements. Help form long-term technical and business strategy and goals
- Influence the entire engineering team to improve the quality, scalability, and supportability of our production software.
- Drive positive change in terms of streamlining processes, improving efficiency, and implementing key performance metrics.
- Collaborate with engineers and product managers on work estimation, planning, and deployment of new features, applications, and systems.
- B.S. in Computer Science or closely related field.
- Strong technical credentials with at least 3 years leading or managing software development teams, ideally with hands-on architectural experience of distributed systems.
- 5+ years developing large scale software solutions.
- 1+ year of experience with container-based orchestration and deployment systems in Kubernetes or Mesos.
- Deep experience in at least one modern programming language, such as Golang, Scala, or Python, and mastery of object-oriented and functional programming.
- Experience with big data platforms (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Flink).
- Experience with distributed NoSQL databases (e.g. Elasticsearch, Athena/Presto, Cassandra/HBase/Accumulo).
- Expertise with microservice architectures leveraging REST or gRPC APIs.
- Experience with PaaS, SLAs, and 24/7 uptime requirements.
- Effective oral and written communications skills with experience presenting to executive teams.
- Flexibility, thinking on your feet, and strong problem solving skills.
- Keen sense of urgency and the ability to prioritize problems, analyze, and resolve issues.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering Management or Business Administration.
- Prior experience managing geographically distributed operations teams in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Experience securing and architecting multi-tenant systems.
- Experience with networks, routing, VPCs, WAFs, CDNs, and VPNs.
- Familiarity with packet captures, network flows, log data, malware analysis, etc.
Secureworks (A Dell Technologies Company) is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Secureworks are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Secureworks will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Secureworks here.