Senior Technical Support Engineer - Wavefront by VMware
Broomfield, ColoradoJob ID R1905885 Date posted May. 17, 2019
Wavefront by VMware is a next-generation SaaS solution that gives Engineering teams next generation visibility into the technology that underpins revenue generating web-scale applications. Wavefront customers include Lyft, Box, Workday, Intuit, Groupon, DoorDash, and Postmates.
Wavefront is redefining how Engineering teams use systems telemetry and metrics. Our massively scalable approach was pioneered at Google, refined at Twitter, and involves real-time processing of high-fidelity host and application metrics. Using Wavefront, developers and technical operations teams can ask any question of their systems and applications with answers in real-time. The Wavefront platform enables Engineering to spend less time on unplanned ops and therefore as much time as possible on feature velocity.
As part of the Cloud Management Business Unit (CMBU) you will work directly with customers, partners, field sales, delivery and product development teams to help ensure the successful incubation, adoption and enablement of Wavefront by VMware’s SaaS service. Earning the right as a trusted advisor requires a unique blend of being polished with customers, having technical savvy, being an out of the box thinker, and having the ability to drive and engage multiple stakeholders to translate and communicate business requirements into a solution vision.
Emerging Products Group: Our focus is to ensure we provide excellent support for new products providing a great customer experience thus enabling easy use and adoption of these products, which in turn increases the chances of customers purchasing the products. To be able to meet the requirements EPG needs to recruit the best Engineers who can quickly adopt new products & technologies, create best practices and processes, documentation & work closely with R&D. Our mission is to provide excellent customer experience and prepare products for a smooth transition into Core GSS once sales licenses reach a certain threshold.
A successful candidate will wear many hats, and your work will have a real impact on the direction of the Emerging products portfolio.
- Provide world-class customer service throughout the entire lifecycle of customer adoption.
- Communicate Wavefront by VMware methodology and best practices to clients.
- Work independently or as part of a team on engagements with customers, often in a technical leadership role to ensure customer retention and to drive customer value realization.
- Provide architectural guidance for the integration of VMware management products with third-party products within the customer’s IT environment such as storage, networking, systems management, capacity management and monitoring, high availability solutions, security infrastructures, etc.
- Stay on top of customer reported issues, regularly communicate with customers, sales account teams and CMBU Product Management and Engineering.
- Be able to drive and increase visibility of escalated support issues for CMBU key accounts as needed.
- Participate and partner with product development to help define and contribute in the creation of new solutions and tooling based on customer requirements – contribute directly to the delivery of these solutions through scripting, coding, testing, documenting, demonstrating and/or showcasing as part of a team.
- Bring thought leadership around overall customer success and be self-driven to lead with minimal supervision.
- Document best practices in deploying Wavefront by VMware, and feed them into our knowledge base for reuse by customers and partners.
- Support various customer enablement and partner events - deliver public speaking and presentations.
- Ability to travel periodically and/or spend significant time interacting with customers remotely on solutions engagements.
- Strong Math and statistical analysis abilities for analyzing graphs and customized data with the ability to apply custom functions to datasets to find a resolution to complex problems.
- Experience with SQL and/or NO SQL or Timeseries databases with the ability to understand how joins and series matching will affect the outcome of data.
- Experience with creating or troubleshooting monitoring Dashboards or Alerts based on custom data.
Professional Qualifications/Ideal Experience
- Domain level understanding of Public/Private Cloud Infrastructure & Networking.
- Experience with modern software development methodologies.
- Previous experience of SaaS support or an understanding of how customers with SaaS products have different support requirements.
- Programming abilities in languages such as Go, Python, Java, Unix shell/Bash are an advantage.
- Experience with DevOps methodologies and tooling such as: Jenkins, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, Terraform, Docker, Kubenetes, Github etc. We don’t need you to know them all but our customer base is using these kinds of tools (and more) and familiarity with some of them would be a big help.
- Experience in a related space such as log analytics, APM etc. E.g. Splunk/Sumo Logic/App Dynamics/New Relic/DataDog/SignalFX would be helpful
- Familiarity with Open Source metrics platforms such as Graphite, OpenTSDB, InfluxDB, Prometheus etc.