Director of Engineering, Horizon Cloud Services
,Bangalore,India, VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.Job ID R1912561 Date posted Sep. 18, 2019
The world is in the midst of a generational transformation. Enterprises across the globe are turning to software to change the way business is being done. Today, in this device and application driven world, companies are laser-focused on empowering teams by tailoring their businesses to their employees’ digital behaviors. This is where we step in.
In VMware End User Computing (EUC), we build solutions that customize, simplify, and automate the employees’ digital experience at work to help them achieve more. Our solutions provide every employee with the agility of being connected to the business from any device, on any Cloud, at any time.
Horizon cloud services group is part of End user computing business unit which is responsible for delivering cloud hosted virtual desktops and applications to any device and anywhere. Our team is focused on adding rich capabilities to this platform including simplifying the management and provisioning of application and desktops in the cloud.
While VMware is a big company, our billion+ business division feels like a start-up and is fast paced, iterative, exciting and fun. At the core of our business are our end-users; and everything we do is motivated around them and their experience. Our cloud-based desktop Virtualization solutions are state-of-the-art and will push you to your creative limits. We’re a dedicated team that is fanatic about our customers, scale, efficiency, design and quality.
More information about VMware Horizon and Horizon Cloud at:
Job Description – Director of Engineering, Horizon Cloud Services
The team is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead one or more engineering teams working on Horizon Cloud. You will get to work on some of the more challenging and interesting problems building on VMware's production-proven platform. VMware is investing in building a modern stack that focuses on next generation of enterprise computing incorporating both traditional workloads and cloud applications with our core Horizon Common Cloud Services platform. You will contribute to the next generation of our cloud-based management, brokering, monitoring and analytics, which form the backbone of our multi-cloud offering. You will set the direction for the scalability, stability and development velocity of our cloud software.
How do you succeed:
You bring broad technical experience, creative problem-solving skills, a passion for technology and coding, and a healthy dose of self-motivation. You thrive in fast-paced environments.
You have in-depth experience in building distributed systems for cloud deployment. You have led engineering teams to ship high quality products to a large customer base. You are seasoned at managing senior engineering talent. You possess demonstrated strengths in product design and development. You are a technical expert and hands-on.
You have strong interpersonal and organizational skills. You will build, mentor, motivate and manage multiple teams of developers and technical leaders. You will work closely with internal and external partners to achieve the team's goals in a dynamically changing market. You hold yourself personally accountable to product and customer success. You take ownership of problems.
Required Skills and Background:
- B-Tech in Computer Science or related discipline.
- 10+ years of experience in managing multiple top-notch software development teams
- Proven track record of building and shipping successful software products
- Experience managing several concurrent development projects, using Agile methodologies
- Demonstrated leadership, people management, teamwork, and communication skills
- Experience in managing engineering efforts spanning organizations and/or geographies
- Expertise in designing large, distributed solutions for cloud deployments
- Experience with software development using languages such as Java
- Experience with containers, microservices, high availability, and data services
- Establish a robust understanding of our customers along with how they can utilize Kubernetes and Cloud Native technologies to change their businesses
- Experience with delivering distributed cloud solutions on any of the following platforms: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Microsoft Azure or OpenStack
- Ability to drive DevOps innovation in cloud engineering by enabling self-service capabilities
- Distributed Systems Management Plane knowledge, Java/Spring stack.
- Proven track record recruiting and retaining top engineering talent
- Ability to form strong cross-functional partnerships across distributed global teams
- Comfortable interacting with executives, customers, internal and external developers
Highly Desired Skills:
- Knowledge of virtualization and application virtualization technologies would be a plus
- Experience in providing APIs and SDK for third-party developers