IT DCOps Engineer
Beijing, ChinaJob ID R1813105 Date posted Jan. 07, 2019
Overview of VMware:
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and policy-driven automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
With 2017 revenues of $7.92 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, 75,000 partners, and 18,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our employees who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Want to be part of a compassionate community that thrives on architecting what’s next in IT? Learn more at vmware.com/careers.
Work for the global leader in cloud infrastructure and virtualization solutions.
You will be a member of the Datacenter and Lab Operations team that provide service and support to various VMware employees. The team is responsible for deploying, configuring and handling the equipment (primarily R&D testbeds) within the local labs and Colocation DCs. The Data Center Engineer will possess extensive technical knowledge, interpersonal and good communication skills to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and meeting customer expectations. We’re looking for an organized, detail-oriented, and results-driven individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
You're responsible for maintaining the Lab Infrastructure that services VMware Employees. This includes day-to-day operation of VMware's data center facility, including, but not limited to:
- Work experience relevant to the DCOps of 5 to 7 years'
- Install/remove/relocate distributed systems, to include: servers, storage, and SAN hardware in the VMware's data centers – HaaS project
- Prioritizing requests to deploy servers, storage and network devices to meet business deadlines
- Managing the floor, cabinet space, cooling, power, network port, and all consumable capacities (cables, rail kits, etc)
- Design, support and maintain engineering test environments.
- Troubleshooting of Servers, Storage and Network Hardware, Software, and Configuration of all components
- Participate in the development and documentation of standard methodologies.
- Deploy, configure and support various network switches including, but not limited to, Dell, Cisco, Brocade, etc
- Install/remove/relocate patch cables for systems and storage hardware
- Inventory management for servers, components and cables for operational consistency
- Track and trend operational characteristics within the data center environments
- Track and communicate progress of assignments and projects using web-based tools
- Prepare & present weekly status reports of assignments/projects at weekly staff meetings
- Ensure compliance with data center standards, policies, and processes via the defined change control process
- Train/mentor junior level tech staff in various technical areas, systems, network and storage
- Minimum 4-year degree in Engineering or Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience with implementation, rack-stack, maintenance, and analysis of servers, storage, and network
- Strong working knowledge of server hardware (rack and blade form factors)
- Good understanding of iSCSI, FC, NFS, FCoE storage protocols and provisioning across multiple systems
- Decent understanding of VMware ESXi troubleshooting
- Working knowledge of automation, network principles and tools
- Good understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including: Generators, UPS systems, ATS units, PDU/PMM units, and CRAC units
- Ability to communicate intelligently and effectively with contractors and vendors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise during normal working hours, or when on call
- Proven documentation and communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, and in a team environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects with various groups including Systems Engineers, Storage Engineers, Networking, and Design & Architecture, etc.
- Ability to interpret and translate Customers Requests into action items
- The position has a physical component requiring the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. And may require working in cramped spaces, or elevated locations
- Ready to travel outstation to support Business needs at other locations, if needed
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, HIV status, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status including pregnancy, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.