Technical Staff, Engineering Technologist - System Architect
Austin, TexasJob ID R81559 Date posted Dec. 03, 2018
The Dell EMC Extreme Scale Infrastructure (ESI) division is an organization that was formed about ten years ago. Originally empowered to bring custom-design servers and data centers for a small number of world-class companies who are on the leading edge of IT innovation, ESI has grown in responsibility and importance to Dell EMC, now serving dozens of Dell EMC’s largest customers, providing everything from full-up custom design to minor tweaks of existing product. As ESI begins its second decade of existence, the focus has grown beyond the pure hyperscale market and into large-scale telco carriers, service providers, Edge computing and more. ESI partners with its customers to meet these challenges with optimized products, services, and solutions.
This role will be part of a team of highly motivated engineers and architects who are responsible for customer-solution engineering and platform development for ESI. The System Architect will be responsible for working directly with customers, sales, marketing, other engineering organizations within Dell EMC, and technology suppliers to understand and solve technical problems facing these ESI customers.
Duties will include gathering customer requirements/pain points, creating architectural and design specifications, running workload performance benchmarks and working with other Dell architectural organizations to ensure optimal product design and leverage across Dell EMC businesses. The Technologist will have responsibility leading technology investigations, performing competitive analysis of industry capabilities, investigating software options that complement ESI hardware to create complete solutions, and developing recommendations for product strategy.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop long-term cloud deployment and management solution strategies based on the technical and business information. The strategies are developed with knowledge from the industry marketing, development, manufacturing, procurement and customer input.
- Take a leading role in driving and evangelizing new ESI product solutions to the customer.
- Drive for alignment of the ESI strategy across internal business groups and external partners.
- Develop long-term technical relationships with the vendor base for the core technology or solutions. The relationships should create a technical interface, driving those requirements into next generation vendor offerings.
- Identify and develop differentiation and/or solution opportunities, provide technical information and make recommendations to marketing, procurement, engineering, customers, and business executives.
- Generate intellectual property and support Dell’s legal team by providing technical support on intellectual property disputes.
- Participate and lead strategic initiatives for improvements in process, quality, and cost.
- Work cross-functionally with other technical leaders, key suppliers and solution partners.
- Generate feasibility studies of system level concepts with pros/cons of platform choices.
- System Architecture experience required with industry knowledge of server application workloads and how hardware components and architecture affect workload performance and/or optimization.
- Experienced with prototyping architectural concepts and running performance comparisons utilizing industry standard benchmarks and application specific tests.
- Knowledge of server architecture, system level design engineering, rack-level and datacenter-level network design, network function virtualization, and an understanding of shared infrastructure management.
- Experience with new product development life cycle and driving cross-functional development efforts from concept to planning to development is required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, setting priorities and managing to committed schedules in an independent environment.
- Demonstrated ability to create detailed architecture specifications and drive business cases for new solutions and features.
- 15+ years of system engineering experience with BSEE/BSCE/BSCS, MSEE/MSCE/MSCS or equivalent.
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re keen to be at the forefront of driving world-class technology innovation, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.