Firmware Senior Principal Engineer
Austin, TexasJob ID R030414 Date posted Aug. 20, 2019
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities.
State-of-the-art products demand state-of-the-art firmware, and that’s the role of our Serviceability Firmware Engineering team. We lead and deliver the analysis, design, programming, debugging, troubleshooting or modification of software for firmware applications. Our team oversees programming activities involving analog and digital hardware as well as software operating systems. We also influence product development at all stages. In short, we use the latest technology to modify existing solutions, in addition to developing innovative new software and firmware solutions.
- Design, develop, and maintain serviceability features which includes research, new development, modification, correction of errors, reuse, re-engineering, maintenance, and documentation
- Work with Firmware and Feature Architects, Development Leads, and team members on security features that must be delivered on time and with a high level of quality.
- Technical understanding of common security vulnerabilities and risks, as well as countermeasures and compensating controls
- Responsibilities may include but not be limited to: Understand serviceability feature requirements, architecture and design UEFI FW development mainly in C language, Unit Tests development, UEFI FW code, debugging, and UEFI FW integration with other HW and SW platform components, like CPU, PCH, FW, OS etc.
- Responsibilities may include working with external partners and internal Dell technology, marketing and other engineering teams to Define/Design/Develop/Test/Deploy serviceability features for Next Gen & legacy Client Platforms.
- Bachelors or higher degree in computer science, electrical engineering or a similar field
- 8+ years industry relevant experience
- Understanding of software development lifecycle, product development lifecycle, and Agile development methodologies.
- Experience with Intel and/or AMD system architectures
- UEFI BIOS or software development experience using languages such as C, C++ or C#
- Experience in Git and/or SVN
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal), interpersonal skills and experience in presenting to management and technical teams in an effective and persuasive manner
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies, as well as with using the Atlassian suite of tools (BitBucket, Bamboo, Jira and Confluence)
- Familiarity with security concepts and features within the UEFI BIOS
- Familiar with various hardware bus interfaces such as PCI, SMBUS, LPC, I2C, etc.