Firmware Security Engineer
Austin, TexasJob ID R028835 Date posted Aug. 21, 2019
Firmware Security Engineer
Hopkinton, MA or Austin, TX
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a Firmware Security Engineer on our Software Engineering team in Hopkinton, MA or Austin, TX.
The Software Engineering team delivers next-generation software application enhancements and new products for a changing world. Working at the cutting edge, we design and develop software for platforms, peripherals, applications and diagnostics — all with the most advanced technologies, tools, software engineering methodologies and the collaboration of internal and external partners.
- Work with several complex Dell EMC storage products leading, mentoring and influencing product groups into implementing FW Secure Development controls
- Analyze new vulnerabilities, verification of impact and management of mitigation efforts
- Work with the technical leaders within the Platform and Systems Engineering (PSE) division to guide and drive the execution of enterprise-wide Security philosophy in product development for use across a broad spectrum of product engineering organizations
- Engage with FW and HW engineering teams as a security practitioner and advisor to define security program objectives
- Code development and FW release as a result of vulnerability mitigation
- Work with the various stakeholders to define the manner in which secure design will be executed during all components of the program such as threat modeling, definition of attack vectors, penetration testing and secure design development
- Engage with the stakeholders to provide security expertise and to ensure execution of the Secure Development Lifecycle (SDL)
- Provide Vulnerability Response impact analysis and mitigation of PSE’s product portfolio
- Manage against defined process timelines and requirements
- Ensure completion of all specific deliverables and tactical initiatives required to support programs
- Identify, escalate and ensure resolution of issues impacting successful execution of programs
- Drive consistency, standardization, improvements of SDL processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- 8+ years of related experience, specifically in FW development, Security Operations, Product Lifecycle Management, Incident Response
- Experience in secure firmware development and knowledge of SDL processes
- Understanding and experience with UEFI as well as legacy BIOS Architecture
- Understanding of x86 architecture from both a hardware and software context
- Proficient in C programming language
- Knowledge of UEFI security or firmware security in general
- Ability to prioritize projects, tasks and deliverables and manage dynamic priorities
- Ability to drive moderately complex, cross-organizational initiatives through the influencing of and negotiation with stakeholders who at times may hold competing priorities
- Results-driven, strong analytical, process management and reporting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re ready to develop cutting-edge software for a changing world, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.