Senior Technical Writer
Atlanta, GeorgiaJob ID R1906067 Date posted May. 16, 2019
Join VMware as we help customers accelerate their digital transformation through a software-defined approach to business and IT. VMware is the pioneer in virtualization and an innovator in cloud and business mobility.
At VMware we live by our EPIC2 values:
- We Execute effectively,
- We’re Passionate about our work,
- We maintain our Integrity and the highest standards of ethics,
- We focus on Customers,
- and we give back to the Communities where we live and work.
We're looking for an outstanding technical writer to join the VMware Information Experience (IX) team. Your experience with on-premise and SaaS enterprise software will enable you to work collaboratively with other product team members to create and maintain excellent documentation for VMware's customers.
You have a passion for learning about and understanding new technologies and you doggedly pursue information that helps our customers to succeed. When customers struggle, you listen and make improvements.
You love building relationships with your peers in engineering and product management (among others) to enhance your knowledge of the product and its customers.
You are an active user of the product that you are documenting and your broad and deep view of the user experience makes you an excellent customer advocate.
You will work as part of a distributed, global team in a dynamic environment. You understand the technical writing process, possess the technical expertise to explain complex technical concepts to an administrator audience, and have superb communication, leadership, and project planning skills.
- Define customer requirements for large and complex documentation projects and create documentation plans and schedules.
- Create information for experienced technical users as well as those who may be new to administering enterprise software.
- Work with other IX writers to find opportunities and create strategies for cross-product content reuse and collaborative authoring.
- Collaborate with software developers, product managers, writers, information architects, quality engineers, and technical support engineers to develop and review information.
- Use DITA to author high-quality information on schedule.
- Incorporate customer feedback and suggested improvements into core content.
- Storyboard and script videos on key product technology, concepts, and tasks.
Required Skills and Experience
- BS/BA in Technical Communication, Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience writing software documentation for a technical audience.
- Knowledge of Enterprise Mobility Management and enterprise architecture a plus.
- Ability to organize information, learn complex concepts, and explain concepts and tasks clearly and concisely.
- Understand structured, task-based writing and able to write in a minimalist style.
- Knowledge of technical writing authoring technologies, including XML and DITA.
- Basic knowledge of HTML.
- Knowledge of video creation and production a plus.
- Positive attitude and professional presence to engage with developers and product managers.
- Project management skills to effectively track and manage assignments, including the ability to estimate, prioritize, and organize tasks effectively.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a global writing team.
- Ability and willingness to learn and put to use new skills brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology.
- Must be flexible and enjoy working with new technology in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrable ability to explain complex and potentially unfamiliar architectures and processes clearly and coherently for all audiences, including creating explanatory illustrations when required.
- Ability to produce new content or revise existing content quickly.
Why Join VMware Information Experience
The Information Experience team at VMware works across business units and divisions to create a collaborative writing community that is focused on serving customers. Our vision is to help customers find answers. To support that mission, we work creatively to find new authoring and publishing methods to help customers successfully use our products. Our global team works with video producers, graphic designers, information architects, and tool experts to deliver industry-leading information. We are a fast-paced, dynamic team that is seeking leaders to help us deliver our mission and seek innovation that will ensure we continue to give customers the best information experience possible.