Senior Security Researcher - Secureworks - Remote US
Atlanta, GeorgiaJob ID R028016 Date posted Aug. 08, 2019
Senior Security Researcher - Secureworks
CTU - Threat Intelligence
Secureworks (SCWX-NASDAQ) is a global leader in intelligence-driven information security solutions. We help organizations confidently pursue business goals in a digitally-connected world. Consistently recognized by industry analysts and readers’ polls, we are one of the best in the world at understanding and anticipating threat behavior. We see 250 billion events every day across 4400 clients in more than 55 countries, and our solutions work across all the layers of a client’s security environment, including 330 different vendor technologies. Join a talented, dedicated, and diverse team of researchers, analysts, engineers, consultants and business professionals who are focused 100% on protecting our clients from cyber threats. We seek out the brightest minds and empower our teams with the tools and support they need to fight the bad guys and maintain our company’s leadership in the cyber security industry.
Uniquely positioned to adapt as the industry evolves, we are also proud to be part of the Dell Technologies family. We enjoy competitive compensation and benefits packages, and reward and recognize our employees for exceptional results. A constant focus on continued learning and growth keeps our team members engaged and excited about “what’s next.” We offer flexible work options when available and emphasize the importance of work-life balance. We know that when our people are rewarded, recognized, and rejuvenated, we win as a team.
The successful candidate must be a strong leader in the security field with proven technical skills and experience researching, hunting for and responding to advanced threat actors. As a member of a highly trained security research team – The Counter Threat Unit (CTU™) - the person will provide senior technical leadership for client-focused projects, generate high-confidence threat intelligence and contribute to the development of advanced technologies and processes to detect threat actors and enhance protections for our Managed Security Services clients. They will also work closely with teammates and our Security and Risk Consulting delivery teams to provide subject matter expertise in support of Cyber-Security Incident Management (such as incident handling, breach management, forensics, electronic discovery, etc.)
- Participate in advanced incident response and targeted threat hunting engagements.
- Collaborate with teammates to develop focused threat intelligence that improves our incident response capabilities, our proprietary technology and protects our clients.
- Development of countermeasures to detect or block threats:
- Endpoint countermeasures:
- Discover how a threat manifests on the endpoint and research how to detect that threat in process, file, persistence, thread injections, or in-memory artifacts.
- Network IDS/IPS countermeasures:
- Analyze how a network enabled threat transmits data over the wire and research how to detect or block that threat with Snort or Suricata IDS/IPS rule creation.
- Network Threat Indicators:
- Research and curation of network threat indicators, such as known bad IP addresses or domain names for use in active blacklists.
- Endpoint countermeasures:
- Monitor and tune countermeasures to provide high fidelity detection's to improve customer experience.
- Mentor teammates on countermeasures development, monitoring, tuning and analysis.
- Advise upon future required endpoint and network capabilities based on research into novel malware techniques.
- Collaborate with offensive practitioners and researchers to improve authorized testing services.
- Develop tools to simplify aspects of countermeasure, forensic or malware analysis for consultants and teammates.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of competitive services, methodologies, and deliverables in the security marketplace.
- Provide timely support for advanced malware analysis and reverse engineering escalations.
- Serve as a top subject matter expert in key elements of the practice (e.g. Forensics, Malware Analysis, Security Technologies...).
- Work as an internal subject matter expert for other departments, including marketing, product management, and the broader Counter Threat Unit research team.
- Network IDS/IPS countermeasures:
- Static and dynamic malicious code analysis:
- Reverse engineering IA32/64 architecture binaries designed for popular operating systems (Windows, OSX, Linux).
- Reverse engineering mobile ARM architecture binaries.
- Programming with Python, C, C++, IA32/64 Assembly, Go.
- Forensic analysis of collected evidence artifacts:
- Analysis of memory images from common OS types.
- Analysis of disk images that may involve various file systems (NTFS, FAT, EXT, HFS+...) and operating systems.
- Network traffic analysis:
- Identifying detectable traits of threat network traffic.
- Broad analysis of traffic patterns to identify anomalies.
- Event log analysis:
- Inspection of log data from common operating systems and security infrastructure to identify threat activity and piece together an incident.
- Analysis of log data from security infrastructure (firewalls, web proxy etc.) to identify anomalous patterns of behavior.
- Offensive capabilities:
- Understanding of and ability to perform intrusions as part of authorized testing activity.
- Ability to customize tools and techniques to evade detection.
- MS in engineering/computer science and 10 years relevant experience or PhD with 5 years relevant experience.
- Performing analysis of security and infrastructure logs.
- Researching targeted threat groups and their tactics, techniques and procedures (TTP).
- Experience in developing tools for malicious code analysis, network traffic analysis and the detection of malicious code on endpoint systems is a strong plus.
- Performing vulnerability and exploit research and analysis.
- Strong understanding of computer architecture and operating systems concepts.
- Thorough knowledge of information security components, principles, practices, and procedures.
- Thorough understanding of computer network exploitation (CNE) and computer network defense (CND) concepts.
Secureworks (A Dell Technologies Company) is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Secureworks are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Secureworks will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Secureworks here.